Dry skin in winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saichele

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
So this is way OT, but I figured why not?

I work outside a fair amount in the winter, and even indoors the ambient humidity is way low - 20-40%. About this time of year I start getting cracks at the tips of my thumbs and some fingers - basically high-stress areas.

Moisturizer seems to avert it to some degree, but once cracked it's both fairly painful and difficult to heal. I've used superglue successfully in the past, but I figure at least a few out here have the same sort of issue and maybe a solution.

Thanks
Steve

thry this stuff works for me.
http://www.bagbalm.com/
If your hands are really bag put it on pretty heavy at bedtime and where a pair of socks or mittens to bed. after a few nights of this you can go to applying it lighter and rub it in for a few minutes.

I have a similar problem but not so severe. I use nutragena hand cream. Comes in a small 2 oz. tube. For a while carry it and put a small amt on after washing hand even on damp hand is good. CVS has their own brand which is less expensive but works well. Its the only stuff I can say really works for me.

Steve, dry lips and skin can also mean dehydration.

Rather tricky in the winter because we are not sweating to death, and obviously need to hydrate. It is easy to become dried out when its cold.

I second the previously mentioned Bag Balm. Its for cow udders but works on people when you are already cracked.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have cream and lip balm in all the cars, workshop and nightstand in the winter.

Bag Balm all the way. And ditto about putting it on when you go to bed at night. A nice layer of BB under a pair of gloves is pretty good for long drives.

Don't work with joint compound or concrete! Those cracks are really painful, and getting cement products on your hands in the winter pretty much guarantees them.

Thanks all - I guess I'll look around for some bag balm.

Steve

I've had pretty good success w/ Udderly Smooth, and ISP (for horses), Udderly being the less greasy. Both are probably real similar to bag balm. The only problem with wearing gloves at night is that when I grab my wife's.... oh, never mind. Wrong forum.

Yea... All these sound good right up until gloves or socks are involved, then it's an issue.

Steve

Well, the gloves certainly make any moisturizer work better but they aren't stictly necessary! lol I agree with the others, bag balm is about the best solution I've found. If you have a Tractor Supply near you they'll have it. If you don't like the glove idea then just do what I do...slather your hands in the evening after dinner and then say, "Honey, can you get me a drink? My hands are all greasy." Works for me. Especially when he's planning on grabbing me later....sorry, couldn't resist! ;-)

Bag Balm for sure! We grew up on a dairy farm and nothing else can come close
to how well it works.

Dairy farm here also. Washing the udder constantly causes massive splits on the fingers. Bag balm does help but even better is pure lanolin. I used to buy it an ounce or two at a time....but now it is difficult to find at all in local drug stores. It is about like axle grease, so you apply it liberally to the split, cover it with a bandage or glove overnight and usually it will be closed up by morning. Sometimes it might take two or three applications but it works fast.

Do a search for Pure Lanolin and you'll find several places to buy it.

The pure lanolin is an interesting alternative - my wife is an avid knitter/spinner/dyer, so I'm almost certain we have some lanolin aorund for some stage of wool processing.

Steve

Steve, you are right. That's why sheep shearers always had very soft hands.

You can find lanolin at the baby store. They sell it for us nursing moms :)

Drink more water and find a good essential fatty acid supplement like Udo's Oil or similar. Not rancid nasty fish oil capsules that have been in that bottle for two years. It will help your skin (and the rest of your health) tremendously.

Just to close out the thread - I bought some of the Bag Balm a couple days ago, and it does better than any other product I've tried (Udder Cream, Eucerin, Corn Huskers, Crack Cream). Too greasy to apply during the day, but for a couple overnight applications have closed up the cracks on my fingers and softened the callous areas around them.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.