Dry Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fvhowler

Burning Hunk
May 4, 2018
Heart of NC
Hello all. Have been lurking here for awhile and posting recently. So much great information here. Have a question about dry red oak wood. I have access to pretty big rounds from a barn. When moving the wood around, its fairly light and I can tell its been under shelter and kept dry for years. Took a few pieces home, split it with a maul. Put a moisture meter on it and said 11% MC. Is that okay/safe to burn in a wood stove? Its the driest oak I've ever found. I normally season my oak for two years which gets to just under 20%. The 11% seems awfully dry. Thoughts? Thanks.

A lot of stove manuals say to not burn kiln dried wood (which is usually down to 10%). I would either do small loads or mix it with regular wood.

I got a load of real kiln dried once and it was an uncontrollable inferno. Had to mix it with some semi seasoned stuff.

Thanks for the reply. These are pretty big rounds around 24 inches so I don't think they are kiln dried but have obviously been in dry storage for many years. I will definitely mix with other wood in wood stove or it may become fire pit wood.

fvhowler, that wood is probably too dry for you to use in your stove. Since you are in NC, I think that you should deliver it to my house so that I can take care of it for you ;) . In all honesty, just do some smaller loads to make sure that you don't over fire your stove. The wood should work fine.FYI, I typically burn red oak, locust, and white oak. They are all great hardwoods and will provide wonderful BTUs.

I would keep it for initial light off of the stove and restart in the AM. If you have an excess of it and know other wood burners you may want ot share the wealth and swap some regular firewood for this super dry stuff.

Reactions: fvhowler
You might consider stacking it outside fully exposed to the environment, but maybe sheltered from rain. Stove wood stacked outside over time will reach an equilibrium MC with the environment, which typically is around 20-30%, still very good for burning.

Reactions: Sawset
You might consider stacking it outside fully exposed to the environment, but maybe sheltered from rain. Stove wood stacked outside over time will reach an equilibrium MC with the environment, which typically is around 20-30%, still very good for burning.

Wait, your saying 30% moisture is very good for burning? I would disagree.

equilibrium MC for dry wood is lower than 20-30

Reactions: blacktail
I have some different types of wood stored away for different purposes. Hard vs soft, dry vs not so dry. Some makes great kindling (basswood), some tough to light off (white oak). Some of it is locust and apple, stored for 15-25yrs in a barn. Mixing it all in at different times depending on conditions seems to work well. Put wet with dry, hard with soft, to create situations that match the conditions and heat load. The real dry stuff gets mixed with the white oak for nice hot long burning overnights when the temps are very cold out.

Thanks for the discussion. Was curious if 11% MC in the oak was too dry. I will split and stack several large rounds of the 11% it with my two year old oak/hickory/maple splits so it will be mixed with good wood. May also make some kinlin with the 11%.