Dryer Lint as kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gangsplatt

Mar 26, 2008
Plattsburgh, NY
My wife gets emails about things to do to be green. One recommendation was to use dryer lint as kindling for wood stoves/fireplaces. Anyone, heard of this before?

Many of the "tips" that are given in this stuff are a bit ridiculous. I don't suppose there is much harm in using it, but it's also quite green to use old lumber cut-offs, sticks from the ground, newspapers, etc.

One of my favs is all the radio commercials telling us that we can be really green by bringing our own bags shopping......funny, the commercial does not mention that it is what YOU PUT IN THE BAGS that is the problem, not the bags themselves!

So bring your own bag, but put salmon flown in from Alaska in it!

100% cotton could go in the compost , too.

Polyester I think would not be a good chimney coating.

Anything there about bellybutton lint or toe-jam ?
Not that I want to start collecting (even more) things but I do have lots and lots of empty jars.

Yeah they mentioned dryer lint could be used in compost. I was just afraid the dryer lint would cause some sort of harm like additional creosote to the stove or chimney.

When the synthetics that clothes are made from are burned they put off some really toxic smoke. Heck.....wool produces cyanide gas when it is burned. Stick with trowing the lint away and split some fine kindling.
Mike

Sure it makes great kindling, but why would anyone want to burn their dryer to keep warm? It reminds of the time right after my wife and I tied the knot and she told me the dryer smelled funny and wasn't drying very good. I asked her when the last time was that she emptied the lint filter. Right as she started looking at me funny I just looked down and slowly shook my head. The filter looked like fat b@st@rds belly button!

People use it as tinder for backpacking -- it's survival gear for when they can't find anything dry.

Use it-can`t see how it can be that polluting? You might want to think about chopping some kindling though ;-)

I've been using it for 2 years now with no ill effects

I have used it backpacking as a fire starter...take the lint and lube it up with some vasoline and it works wonders...

We get all of ours from the lint gland, located near the middle of the stomach.

Thomas WV, tell me that isnt you in your avatar!

Status
Not open for further replies.