Dryer venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
How do you do it at your house?

I have replaced 3 of the 4 windows in the basement. The one I have not replaced is a 70yo single payne window. It is a 2 payne hopper (rusted shut) where one piece of glass is removed and a piece of plywood installed with a vent poked through it.

My plan for that window is to install a slider and build a panel for the one side that has the dryer vent installed.

Is there a better way?

I'd love to find something like this:

http://www.bondedvinylwindows.com/id99.html

But haven't seen anything locally. I might start checking into glass shops. The local building supplies either don't carry windows or are suggesting glass blocks. I really don't want to do glass blocks.

But considering that the old windows are rusted shut single paynes that are all cracked, anything is better than what is there now.

Matt

ours is run thru the block. I like the looks of that window idea though. Seems it can be done pretty easily

I had old style wood-framed hopper basement windows. I used Vinyl boards to cover over the old wood. I set in a new vinyl slider window but bought a narrower width by 5 inches and put a piece of vinyl board to cover that gap. I ran the dryer outlet sleeve through that with a hole saw. Corked and painted, and very weathertight.

That window system looks nice.

Matt, Could you go up and out at a point above the wall?
Consider using rigid pipe and including a clean-out (not unlike a woodstove flue). Accumulated dryer lint causes lots of fires.
There are some nice dryer outlets out there if you look around. Most don't seal well and will let cold air in to your basemen when the dryer is not used.

I didn't have a window from my laundry room, so I had an outfit core drill the wall. I thought it was poured concrete, turned out to be block (and thus much easier). The guy got an easy $200. <>

The rim joist is completely accessible. I'd have to cut clapboards to do it, but that's easy enough. I have to get looking at the vent options. The window is now in, so I'll have to figure out something before I run out of clothes. I guess I could stick the vent out the window for now, but the wife would probably call foul on that one.

My father had a local guy who specializes in glass blocks do his. I thought it was quite expensive. Have you gone to Erie Supply on Railroad ave? They may have what you need. You may also want to try Norandex in Albany. I get all of my glass from Niskayuna Glass, they may be able to help you.

I've had Niskayuna Glass do a few windshields. They had the best prices around and are pretty close to me. I picked up a heavy gauge dryer vent. It actually says it forms an air tight seal when closed. I'd be surprised if it is air tight, but it's built well. I figured I'd try to go through the block. If I draw the lines well enough and then drill enough holes around the circle I should be able to get a somewhat clean hole.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.