Drying Experiment -- Wood Weight Over Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
I thought I'd post this info again (posted it years ago) to pay back for the helpful advice I've gotten from this forum.

I weighed some different pieces and bundles of wood every month or so (pine and fir). Bottom line, all the wood was as dry as it was going to get after about 5-6 months (very humid climate here).

FirewoodDryingExperiment_zpsefd7fa96.jpg

WoodDryingGraph_zpscc7cfb87.jpg

WoodDryingGraphNormalized_zpsb88ea677.jpg

Bottom line, all the wood was as dry as it was going to get after about 5-6 months

If you've only been running this test for 9 months, I think it's a little premature to say that. Yes, most of the sample pieces appear to have leveled off, but that could be a seasonal thing. Coastal Northern California is super rainy at this time of year (I spent a year in Fort Bragg) so it wouldn't surprise me if the leveling off was temporary.

I think a better test would be to do moisture content over a year or so period of time. That would speak more in terms of how effective the different pieces were drying....

nonetheless, my hat's off to you for hanging with it........

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.