Drying Kindiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes on the pallet wood, great kindling. Not sure where I learned this but if they are stamped "HT" for "heat treated", they are safe to burn. If not, could be treated with pesticides which is something you don't want to risk breathing.

Lumber scraps are great . I get lots of them out of dumpsters. Also run across old pine barn siding and will stick an 8-12' piece up in the rafters of the woodshed for latter use. Dries fast too just under the tin.

I also stick wood in the rafters of my shed for my smoker. I'll cut the chunks and hang them in burlap bags tilli need some. That's the same concept I was thinking of on cutting large amounts of kindling splits and drying them in the furnace room for future use

I like your idea of burlap bags. Where do you get them? Many years ago, a grocery store I worked at received potatoes that way. I save most of the heartwood splinters from the log splitter work. They are left in the sun for a week or so then stored in garbage cans with lid removed. The bags up in the rafters would save shed floor space and assure they stayed dry. I use about one garbage can full a year for lighting/reloading and never need newspaper to fire things up.

"Aquire" them at work. At a hydro electric plant I work at we fill them with cinders to plug leaks. Probably the size of a potato sack. Save space and constant dry wood for the smoker depending on what I feel like

Status
Not open for further replies.