drying noodling noodles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
how do u all dry out your noodling noodles for firestarter?..i had a bunch of them and put em in a large trash bag..and well i left em out and it rained on it..in it..i removed em and put them in small burlap sacks so some air could get to them...any ideas?

Reactions: smokinj
Most all I get is used for garden mulch or walking paths in processing area.But I do save 3-4 big sacks full for the heating season.Normally put them in large paper bags that originally contained birdseed or shelled/cracked corn.Doing that no later than August means they'll be plenty dry by late October/early November.They dry pretty quickly around here,even in bags.Plastic bags are worthless,the moisture stays trapped in & mold will soon form.

Most years there's at least 1 sack leftover in spring,that's saved for the following fall.

burlap sacks would work well.

Leave them laying on your drive or. Tarp like they said for a day or two then store them how u like. They will dry in no time.

Reactions: TreePointer
Haha

Get an old screen door and put it on saw horses and put the noodles on the sreening, should dry quickly with the extra air flow.

Thinking the same Jr?? I just mentioned how I would do it if I did. Now I actually will burn them if I noodle a lot. Keep pulling them from under saw and either. Leave them be or if lots out in the brush like to burn. I did process some huge 40" stuff last year and shoveled most of the dust and noodles up and put in my garden but that's cause there was ankle deep piles all over!!

How many rounds do you guys noodle a year? I might do 3 or 4 and don't get many noodles.

How many rounds do you guys noodle a year? I might do 3 or 4 and don't get many noodles.

Maybe they're also figuring in splitter trash -- the pieces that usually get left over from splitting?

When you cut 30" + inch stuff in the woods with limited access you make a lot of noodles. I'd bet in a bad year I've noodled a cord worth of big rounds or more. See the tree in my avatar. That thing was 54" DBH & 40' of trunk. 3 men 1 splitter & a lot of noodles. It happens sometimes. A C

Some for stubborn bits,
some for fun, and
some to keep the saw happy.

Reactions: ScotO
i bet i usually noodle 2 dozen knotty stubborn rounds a year

You must have perfect wood and help. Heck I noodled 2 in the last load just to get them in the truck. And that was a ranger load. Even at 19" dbh that stuff was pushing 150#s. That's a bit to pick up to ur waist in and awkward package.

You must have perfect wood and help. Heck I noodled 2 in the last load just to get them in the truck. And that was a ranger load. Even at 19" dbh that stuff was pushing 150#s. That's a bit to pick up to ur waist in and awkward package.
Yep I hear ya. I only take what I can handle myself. I split everything by hand so I would never tackle huge rounds. I split big ones right on sight. Try a cant hook to jostle them around, save your back.

Reactions: Shane N
aside from pieces with a large knot running through it, most rounds over 20" get noodled in half, >24" goes to quarters. makes it much easier to tackle by hand. everybody should have noodles in their life and i love all the bark free splits you can get out of rounds that big!

Reactions: OldLumberKid
Yep I hear ya. I only take what I can handle myself. I split everything by hand so I would never tackle huge rounds. I split big ones right on sight. Try a cant hook to jostle them around, save your back.
I get a lot of wood after work, i would be in the woods till dark many nights if i split it all up. I too split some quantity by hand. This year i have hand split a cord in the last few weeks.

A cant hook will not get the rounds in my truck.

Hand splitting requires noodeling. All of the 19" rounds i hand split, if i had a trailer i would of rolled them up easy, which i have one i just did not bring it. But for larger stuff thats where noodeling helps. YOu can noodle like halfway through and then bust up the rest of the way most times. Now if you have a small like 40 or 50cc saw with a 20" bar you will be noodeling those rounds forever!! this is wehre you need a 60+ cc saw.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Put it in a burlpap sack, smash the sack flat, and throw it on your roof on a hot sunny day for a few hours.

When I'm noodling rounds, I'll always lay the noodles on a black tarp out in the full sun for a couple hours. Then pack 'em in a cardboard box til I need them. Works just fine.

I do like the burlap sack in the dryer trick.......may have to try that someday when Da' Boss ain't around!

Status
Not open for further replies.