Drying of Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinwburke

Nov 5, 2009
Central Mass
Another dumb newbie question....

Cut down a very dead, but standing pine...no bark...very very dead. Seems pretty dry excepts for the edges. After I split stack, how long until it will be dry enough to burn?

Will get that moisture meter someday soon.

Thanks for the help on here getting going.

3-6 mos. Depending on size and location of stack.

Depends . . . if I had to guess I would say gzecc is spot on . . . if it was completely bone dry all the way through you might even get away with burning it right away. Standing dead really is variable . . . a lot depends on the tree speices and how long it has been standing dead. With some elm on my property I've found that if the tree was dead but the bark was on and it had only been dead for a year or so -- I would have to wait a year before burning. If the elm had been dead for a year plus and the bark was falling off and when I cut the wood up it was bone dry I could pretty much burn it that day . . . although I still waited for several months before burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.