Drying report, as expected

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paul bunion

Minister of Fire
Apr 3, 2013
NJ
I checked on how my latest delivery was drying this morning. Results were as expected. Logs were delivered on 4/1/13, green. I had it all cut, split and stacked by June 1. More shade than sun, top covered, with about 12" of space under.

I'll list the species followed by the inside moisture on a re split. All of the exteriors measured at about 18%

Oak over 45, pegged the meter. Could see the water/wood color difference around edges.
Beech 36
Cherry 34
Ash 33
Norway maple, the winner at 22
Standing dead black birch, 22
Ailanthus (yuk, there was one log of it, can't groan about the cost though.) 36 but feeling light, can see that this will be featherweight when dry.

I won't need to get into is wood until early '15 so I'm good with its progress. Need to start thinking about another log load for this fall and I'll be good till '18 or so.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Interesting. I would like to see the numbers after 6 months and 9 months. I bet all the wood would be burnable after 9 months, but it would not have the same heat yield as 2 year seasoned hardwood.

Anxious to get into my two year hardwood, and 3 year oak this winter. Wood building won't be done till December.. But looking forward to dry stuff from here on out. Painting "16" on my pallet loads now. :)

Reactions: ScotO
I am kinda shocked that the cherry and especially the ash were that high at 33 and 34 .

I am kinda shocked that the cherry and especially the ash were that high at 33 and 34 .

Yes, I agree. I am surprised the Ash is still at 33. What kind of Ash? Do you know?

Doesn't surprise me at all.

Ash can vary a lot but it still needs a year in the stack. Two or 3 is even better!

I've had some ash in the stack for 6 years or more and still had it sizzle! It just happens once in a while. On the other hand, I was stacking some ash today that I had cut last winter and could hardly believe how light it was. Of course, it has been dead for several years....

Status
Not open for further replies.