Drying Snow Covered Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My piles are covered in snow now. I have about a day's worth of dry wood indoors prior to the snow in preparation for this. In the meantime, I brought in a bunch of snow covered wood and piled it up around the stove to dry out and warm up. I think being in close proximity to the stove for 24 hours should dry it out enough. Anyone else employ this technique? The smart thing to do would be to tarp the stacks, but since I didn't, this will have to do for the time being. On a positive note, the extra moisture from the wood will add to the room. I don't imagine it'll take long to dry.

As long as you keep the wood at a safe distance you should be OK. depending upon how much snow they may still have you may want to catch that water so that it doesnt make a mess. Fortunately like our friend Backwoods Savage says, wood is not a sponge so water will only penetrate but so deep. So the warmth of the stove should dry it out quickly.

We do the same....works for us

As long as it's nice & cold I just knock 2 pieces together before throwing them in the bin to bring in. Most the snow is knocked off outside. Wet sticky snow is another matter tho. Tarps are as much a PITA as snow-covered stacks I've found.
If you've got a blower on the stove just an hour or 2 in the airflow is plenty to dry the surface of those splits. Keep them back as far as the minimum clearances that the stove calls for& farther if they are getting too warm.

midwestcoast said:
As long as it's nice & cold I just knock 2 pieces together before throwing them in the bin to bring in. Most the snow is knocked off outside. Wet sticky snow is another matter tho. Tarps are as much a PITA as snow-covered stacks I've found.
If you've got a blower on the stove just an hour or 2 in the airflow is plenty to dry the surface of those splits. Keep them back as far as the minimum clearances that the stove calls for& farther if they are getting too warm.

Good point. I repositioned the wood back a little bit. If that stove is about 500 degrees, and it's going to be re-stoked in the middle of the night, that radiant heat will surely dry the pieces out pretty well...at least surface moisture from snow.

before i built my woodshed next to the cabin i did as midwest coast does-bang the splits together and haul them into the house. they'll be dry in a day.art

midwestcoast said:
Tarps are as much a PITA as snow-covered stacks I've found.
That all depends on how you cover your stacks, and with what. You guys have obviously never had snow melt and re-freeze turning your wood pile into a solid block of ice.
What I find hard to believe is how eager people are to run out and spend their hard earned money on stuff (plywood, tarps, plastic, ropes, bungees, etc..) to cover their wood piles, when almost everybody who is able to buy these things has a free supply of good durable wood covering material. To find out what that is, go to any lumber yard and ask them what they cover their "wood" with and why. Then ask them what they do with that material when they are done with it.

Of course the best solution is to build a woodshed.

I set a days worth of Ash on my hearth next to stove. IMO, this technique works for me and helps dry Ash somewhat...

Fredo

Maybe the Gangsters on bicycles will leave your wood along.

Yes and I found it's much easier to bang apart the top couple layers of wood with a sledghammer vs trying to rip off/apart a tarp that is stuck to that mess too.

[/quote]
That all depends on how you cover your stacks, and with what. You guys have obviously never had snow melt and re-freeze turning your wood pile into a solid block of ice.
[/quote]

NATE379 said:
Yes and I found it's much easier to bang apart the top couple layers of wood with a sledghammer vs trying to rip off/apart a tarp that is stuck to that mess too.
That ice is good though Nate, at least you finally found the perfect way to secure those tarps from blowing off all the time in those fierce Alaskan winds. ;-)

All that wood is bone dry after being indoors since Thursday night. I've been bringing in a little bit more at a time since then. The other issue I have with this wood is that I usually split my pieces again before bringing them in, but I have zero desire to stand outside and do that in the snow right now, so the pieces are a little larger to work with.

Tarps was last year and they lasted about 2 weeks. This year I tried sheets of OSB and they lasted about a month till flying off. I just gave up. I might cover over the summer to keep all the rain off, but once fall/winter hits the wind is going to pull anything off.

Carbon_Liberator said:
NATE379 said:
That ice is good though Nate, at least you finally found the perfect way to secure those tarps from blowing off all the time in those fierce Alaskan winds. ;-)

If your wood is dry enough to burn well before it gets snow covered, it will be good to burn when ever needed.
You may have to burn it a little hot for a few minutes in the stove to evaporate the surface moisture, but none of very little will soak into the wood.
Like BWSavage says, "Wood isn't a sponge".
From what I hear of your area ("The Windy City") you may have trouble with tarps like we do here, almost not worth the effort.

Having some indoors is what I do, about a weeks supply.
But I'm one of the lucky ones & built a shed 1-1/2 years ago & am loving it :)

Carbon_Liberator said:
midwestcoast said:
What I find hard to believe is how eager people are to run out and spend their hard earned money on stuff (plywood, tarps, plastic, ropes, bungees, etc..) to cover their wood piles, when almost everybody who is able to buy these things has a free supply of good durable wood covering material. To find out what that is, go to any lumber yard and ask them what they cover their "wood" with and why. Then ask them what they do with that material when they are done with it.

You got me wondering what the lumber yards use. Can you save me the trip and just tell me?

I've seen folks lay down several splits and use a broom to sweep the snow off before taking it into the house.

Backwoods Savage said:
I've seen folks lay down several splits and use a broom to sweep the snow off before taking it into the house.

Not a bad plan. I usually toss the wood onto the sidewalk and that knocks alot of the snow off.

Jack22 said:
Carbon_Liberator said:
midwestcoast said:

You got me wondering what the lumber yards use. Can you save me the trip and just tell me?

There is no comparison to bld. lumber and firewood.

This coming summer my neighbor which is a custom builder is going to build me a wood shed. Not just an ordinary wood shed but one that is going to be built into the side of my garage. He is going to open up the side of my garage, add headers for support and build an attractive outside but functional inside wood shed. The outside will be enclosed and vinyl sided to match my house and garage.

Wood shed will be accessible from inside my garage where I will be able to split, store and obtain my firewood right from within my garage. I will rotate my seasoned firewood from my backyard into this wood shed and not have to be concerned about weather elements.

Fredo

Fredo said:
This coming summer my neighbor which is a custom builder is going to build me a wood shed. Not just an ordinary wood shed but one that is going to be built into the side of my garage. He is going to open up the side of my garage, add headers for support and build an attractive outside but functional inside wood shed. The outside will be enclosed and vinyl sided to match my house and garage.

Wood shed will be accessible from inside my garage where I will be able to split, store and obtain my firewood right from within my garage. I will rotate my seasoned firewood from my backyard into this wood shed and not have to be concerned about weather elements.

Fredo

i'm jealous

Fredo said:

Fredo

Sounds good . . . a well built wood shed is truly a beautiful thing . . . once you have one you'll never want to go back to dealing with stacks.

I take it that this isn't a heated garage?

Fredo said:

Fredo

My garage is not heated but woodshed that will be attached to it will be in at least 7 hours of direct sunlight.

Fredo

Status
Not open for further replies.