Drying/storing firewood in a greenhouse?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtcedinburgh

Sep 19, 2006
Fife Riviera, Scotland
Hi,

We don't have a huge garden so storing a winter's worth of wood is only possible with some creativity. I have moved 1/4 of our logs into some spare space in our greenhouse, and I wondered whether this is wise or not?

During the day temperatures can top 100F in there, but the air-flow is less than I would get outside. The wood appears to be drying out very well, but I'm concerned that there may be side effects.

Has anyone here tried storing/drying wood in this way?

John

It's difficult as I leave the door wide open and the vents horizontal (to maximise airflow). There are roof hatches but if it rains I lose out.

Of course, I could always remove a pane or two of the glass but am reluctant to do that!

I would say that if it seems to be drying very well, then leave it alone. If everything seems moist in there then your gonna have a problem.

jtcedinburgh said:
Hi,

We don't have a huge garden so storing a winter's worth of wood is only possible with some creativity. I have moved 1/4 of our logs into some spare space in our greenhouse, and I wondered whether this is wise or not?

During the day temperatures can top 100F in there, but the air-flow is less than I would get outside. The wood appears to be drying out very well, but I'm concerned that there may be side effects.

Has anyone here tried storing/drying wood in this way?

John

Grow some produce in the greenhouse. Then trade or sell it for seasoned wood delivered and stacked as needed.

just an idea ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.