Drying Surface Moisture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, with the Midwest storm, I have been reminded of the importance of bringing wood under cover during precipitation as snow or rain. I don't have cover outside much, so I bring about a days worth and pile it near but not right up on the stove. It warms it up and dries the surface moisture allowing it to light that much faster. Especially important when burning less than perfectly seasoned wood.

Also a good technique to bring in mid-day on the really cold days so at night you don't have to tromp outside during overnight lows at 15 or 20 degrees lower than noontime temps.

This has been made a little more difficult as a homeless man I believe who has been lurking near my woodpile snagged my wheelbarrow. I didn't have it chained up, and don't have a garden shed or garage at my office where I burn. I've seen him camped out during the day time, so I suspect it was him, but cannot prove it. That wheelbarrow lived outside for a year prior to when he showed up and it disappeared. The wheelbarrow had a poly tub with some cracks from me tossing logs into it, so it was not long for the earth anyway. I'm going to buy a cheaper steel model and not worry about it aside from chaining it to a tree perhaps. If someone still gets it, then oh well.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I know I'm an oddball and some worry a lot about bugs, but I bring in about a weeks worth of wood at a time. I like to do it on the weekend or a day earlier if the weather is threatening. I do keep my woodpile covered (top only for the most part) so even when I bring it in after a rain it is generally dry other than perhaps the ends.

I've never had a bug problem and it works out well for our schedule to not have to bring in wood every day (very tight timing running this family during the weekdays).

As to the wheelbarrow - sorry to hear about that. I wonder what would happen if you approached the homeless individual and let him know you are missing the wheelbarrow and ask if, since he seems to be around ,he may have seen anyone run off with it.

I know I'm an oddball and some worry a lot about bugs, but I bring in about a weeks worth of wood at a time. I like to do it on the weekend or a day earlier if the weather is threatening. I do keep my woodpile covered (top only for the most part) so even when I bring it in after a rain it is generally dry other than perhaps the ends.

I've never had a bug problem and it works out well for our schedule to not have to bring in wood every day (very tight timing running this family during the weekdays).

As to the wheelbarrow - sorry to hear about that. I wonder what would happen if you approached the homeless individual and let him know you are missing the wheelbarrow and ask if, since he seems to be around ,he may have seen anyone run off with it.

I got what I got on that deal. I didn't chain it, so it got lifted. When we leave ourselves wide open, we get ripped from time to time.

Do you find that putting a semi-seasoned split next to a hot stove acts like a kiln to some extent?

Do you find that putting a semi-seasoned split next to a hot stove acts like a kiln to some extent?

I have not seen that - I do know some folks have tried such things but I don't think that it would dry out fast enough to be ready to burn by time I would want to toss it in. I managed to get 2-3 years ahead in my wood stacks so I haven't knowingly brought any wood in the house that isn't ready to burn in quite a while.

Yes it will dry faster by the stove buy cant tell you how long it takes to make a difference, if you try it dont get it too close, there have been pictures of wood within a few inches of the stove.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I got what I got on that deal. I didn't chain it, so it got lifted. When we leave ourselves wide open, we get ripped from time to time.

Someone has stolen the pair of batteries out of my truck 2 times and I talked with the guy at Interstate Batteries and he told me to paint them fluorescent pink like some mechanics do to keep their tools from walking off.

So far it has worked with my batteries so you should try it with your next wheelbarrow.

What I do is bring the wood in and stack near the stove till the snow or precipitation is relatively dry. Then, I stack the pieces on the top of the stove while I'm around and am keeping an eye on things, rotating from time to time until it's drier before getting tossed in. I think that strategy works ok. It's taking some moisture out of less than perfectly seasoned wood. I'm not sure how much, but it hast to help a little. Wouldn't season premium oak or other high btu hardwoods. But, I think cottonwood and other quicker to dry light hardwoods seem to benefit. Perharps even some lower quality maple would benefit.

Know what you mean. Did that for years fighting the snow & sometimes rain.
Built a woodshed 2 years ago.
I used tarps before the shed, & learned to hate them. :)
I bring in about a weeks worth now & fill a wood box about 5' from the stove in the basement.

A few days close to the stove will help the surface dry off but no do much for the center.
No substitute for good 2 year well seasoned fire wood .

Sound like your method is working ok,
You burn what you got ;)

Reactions: firecracker_77
Know what you mean. Did that for years fighting the snow & sometimes rain.
Built a woodshed 2 years ago.
I used tarps before the shed, & learned to hate them. :)
I bring in about a weeks worth now & fill a wood box about 5' from the stove in the basement.

A few days close to the stove will help the surface dry off but no do much for the center.
No substitute for good 2 year well seasoned fire wood .

Sound like your method is working ok,
You burn what you got ;)

This works ok in a warmer midwest climate. I don't think this would be a great strategy in really cold climates where you need every btu available. I can lose a bit to steam and not worry about it.

Firecracker, I'd just look at that wheelbarrow loss and perhaps helping some poor soul. As you stated, it was not in real good shape anyway. Still hurts to know someone was on your place when you were gone. I hate that.

As for the rain/snow factor, I don't worry much about it. Yesterday was quite a day because when we got up the wood on our porch was already wet. It would have been better had I filled the rack before the rain but I was unable to do it. So, it got a bit wet because of a strong south wind. Here is what our wood rack looks like. You can see it through the glass door. The level of wood was less than 1/3 full. Had it been full then only the ends would have gotten wet. Still, it posed no problem. I put in 3 splits when I got up and engaged the cat within 10 minutes. All was well.

Stove and wood.JPG

Firecracker, I'd just look at that wheelbarrow loss and perhaps helping some poor soul. As you stated, it was not in real good shape anyway. Still hurts to know someone was on your place when you were gone. I hate that.

As for the rain/snow factor, I don't worry much about it. Yesterday was quite a day because when we got up the wood on our porch was already wet. It would have been better had I filled the rack before the rain but I was unable to do it. So, it got a bit wet because of a strong south wind. Here is what our wood rack looks like. You can see it through the glass door. The level of wood was less than 1/3 full. Had it been full then only the ends would have gotten wet. Still, it posed no problem. I put in 3 splits when I got up and engaged the cat within 10 minutes. All was well.

View attachment 85845

That looks really nice with the trees outside that sliding glass door. Your wood is premo dry for sure. Even if it has a tiny amount of moisture on the surface, the inside is really dry which is all that matters.

How much does that wood rack hold in case of snow where you aren't wanting to refill it for a while?

Then, I stack the pieces on the top of the stove while I'm around and am keeping an eye on things, rotating from time to time until it's drier before getting tossed in.
badidea.jpg

What is the danger in that? You could smell or see any problems emerging from overly heated wood.

It would only take once, and the consequences of that mistake would be tremendous. Even if the house didn't burn down, smoke damage is nothing to laugh at. You pick the unthinkable that could cause you to forget you had it there and leave the immediate area. My coworker had an emergency and ended up accidentally leaving a pot of chili on the stove. He was right in the kitchen when he received the call that made him drop everything and forget everything he was doing (this guy is no dumbass either) It cost him having to have his house repainted and every piece of furniture replaced and more.

Hell, what if you were right there and had a stroke or heart attack or seizure out of nowhere and laid on the floor as that wood sat there unattended due to being incapacitated?

With good seasoning practices, this should not even enter one's mind as an option.

If the wood is well seasoned, and surface moisture is the concern, it shouldn't be. I just brought in wood today after an 1.5inches of rain yesterday and 4 inches of snow last night that was damp on the exterior since it was only top covered. Threw it in the stove for the reload and it's good to go. The outside was damp, but the inside (where moisture is a real issue) was well seasoned. This internal moisture from under-seasoned firewood won't be removed by a quick rest on a hot stove.

Any minimal gain is just not worth the potential risk.

pen

That looks really nice with the trees outside that sliding glass door. Your wood is premo dry for sure. Even if it has a tiny amount of moisture on the surface, the inside is really dry which is all that matters.

How much does that wood rack hold in case of snow where you aren't wanting to refill it for a while?

It only holds about 24 cu ft of wood (16" long is what we need) so not a lot but it lasts quite some time. Probably fill it weekly in cold weather. On the trees, yes, we live in the woods and love it.

Agree
I think you need to listen to Pen on this one! This forum is full of horror stories from folks who walked away for "just a minute" and then got totally sidetracked. No wood on top of a hot stove. NEVER!
Agreed - can't imagine putting wood on a hot stove top - just asking for a problem. Cheers!

I thought for sure I misread the "I stack the pieces on the top of the stove" line but I guess not. I'll echo the bad idea sentiment as the others already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.