Drying Thai Hot peppers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
I'll end up with about a 1/4 full margarine container full by tomorrow. What's the best way to dry them, or are there better ways to preserve them? They're supposed to be 1 of the top 10 hottest out there, so I have no intention of using them all anytime soon.
Thanks.

I've tried to dry peppers without heat or a dehydrator and ended up with mold inside. Thais are usually small enough that they might work strung via needle and thread through the stems and hung in a very warm dry place, but freezing would be a safe r option. Suck the air out of the ziplock bag with a straw to prevent freezer burn. I know how valuable stuff like that is when you grow it.

Thank you, into the freezer they go. Then vacumn sealed bags and next, some stir fry or Mexican chile.
Thanks again, JB

We hang them upside down tied to a string and in a paper bag, then we just let it hang in a warm area of the house for a few weeks. They dry out very nicely. We're still using some from last year.

I freeze all peppers. They seem to keep forever. I would only dry them if you want to shake some flakes/dust on top of something after cooking. If you are going to cook the peppers freezing is a no-brainer...it is as easy as it gets. I just bag 'em and freeze 'em. Lee's idea might cut down on some frost, but frost doesn't bother me.

I've still got some that are dark green, almost black. Do you harvest those, or leave them out for an unsuspecting squirrel?

Status
Not open for further replies.