Drying time for Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lowroadacres said:
Sometimes I think that there is a market for consulting or teaching people about firewood basics.

How to cut/split/stack....

How to touch up your chainsaw in the woods....

No need to just touch up. Just do the entire filing process and it is done right there.

How to find standing dead wood...

A good pair of eyes is all it takes. Heck, I have only one eye and can still spot the stuff.

How to test for wood moisture content... With or without a MM!

With experience, you won't even have to test. You'll know. Even better is to have a 3 year supply on hand at all times and then you don't have to be concerned with moisture content (if it has been split and stacked properly).

There are so many people who try wood heating and they get frustrated and quit or we muddle along for years on end because we don't take the time to learn properly or to look for help from those more knowledgeable than us.

But we also must remember that some folks just can not be taught! Then there are the ones who might drive through an area and see how the "old timers" are doing things and think that must be the right way. Or they are just told by the "old timers" and, because they've had so much experience, they must know what they are talking about. Pure baloney! When I think about it, I don't now believe half the things I thought I knew 20 years ago!

Also, someone might have 25 years experience doing something but, is it 25 years experience or is is 1 year of experience that is just repeated 24 more times. There is a huge difference. People become so lazy they don't even want to think.

Here's to patient hearth.com members!

Backwoods Savage said:
lowroadacres said:
Sometimes I think that there is a market for consulting or teaching people about firewood basics.

How to cut/split/stack....

How to touch up your chainsaw in the woods....

No need to just touch up. Just do the entire filing process and it is done right there.

How to find standing dead wood...

A good pair of eyes is all it takes. Heck, I have only one eye and can still spot the stuff.

How to test for wood moisture content... With or without a MM!

With experience, you won't even have to test. You'll know. Even better is to have a 3 year supply on hand at all times and then you don't have to be concerned with moisture content (if it has been split and stacked properly).

There are so many people who try wood heating and they get frustrated and quit or we muddle along for years on end because we don't take the time to learn properly or to look for help from those more knowledgeable than us.

But we also must remember that some folks just can not be taught! Then there are the ones who might drive through an area and see how the "old timers" are doing things and think that must be the right way. Or they are just told by the "old timers" and, because they've had so much experience, they must know what they are talking about. Pure baloney! When I think about it, I don't now believe half the things I thought I knew 20 years ago!

Also, someone might have 25 years experience doing something but, is it 25 years experience or is is 1 year of experience that is just repeated 24 more times. There is a huge difference. People become so lazy they don't even want to think.

Here's to patient hearth.com members!

lol A lot to be said for the guy who gets ahead and can manage a wood supply.....best I have done in a season is 11 cords. I hope the stacking pays off this year and puts me in around 8 cords. That would be huge!

Wow, we're hitting 100deg. here today. 97 yesterday. Wondering how my ash is drying in this heat.
Relative humidity is near 100% at night though. That has got to slow down the drying, no?
Just plain steamy through the day.

It's supposed to get warm and humid here too(I think it is already but alas I'm confined to my office and A.C. at the moment). Unfortunatley for me, the guy with the ash tree laying in his yard is fully expecting me to arrive this evening and cut some more....sounds like I better take lots of water! My wife is trying to lose some weight...I suggested she come along to help...that ought to drop a few pounds!

I split last weekend when it was 95 deg. and humid. Take a towel and water. Maybe gloves for sweaty hands.
And I wouldn't mention your motive to the wife!
One thing about it. That moist wood smells wonderful when stacked and baking in the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.