Drying time for Hackberry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
What is the recommended drying time for Hackberry ? Assuming single row split in the sun and wind?

Ok good! I was just trying to decide if I should separate it from the Mulberry. Sounds like I should!

I burned some hackberry this winter after 10 months dry time. Burned well and did good mixing into some of my more wet wood.

Dries and burns like cherry.

Hackberry limbs split now will surely be ready for next winter. However, I had some 36" hackberry stump rounds that took FOREVER to dry enough to even split. 32 ton wedge just disappeared into the wood doing no damage. Darn near a show-stopping event. Use caution on the big stuff and have a plan B to get your wedges out. ;)

If I didn't have a splitter for Hackberry, I'd let it sit in the round for 2 years. No way I'd touch it with any type of manual device...it don't never get real big anyway.

Most of my wood is hackberry. I took down a 18" dbh tree that was over the driveway last Saturday and I finished splitting it today - mostly with an X27 and the knotty rounds with a maul. Just a few pieces required a wedge and a handful with the largest knots I noodled. I expect it to be ready to burn next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.