Drying wood Quickly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Dec 4, 2005
Bromyard U.K.
Hi,

I been heating my house with coal used on a Stanley Errigal 50 cooker for the past 5 years , tried to use wood initially but not fully understanding everything , I gave up becuase of the wet crappy tar on the boiler inside the firebox , but this year with some dry wood decided to give it a go again , with the same wood that I got when I first bought the cooker so its very dry now , apart from the obvious 2 weekly clean out of all the chambers surrouding the cooker and the chimney , its great it runs hotter and much better on wood , without overfiring which I already know to my cost of a new riddling grate and summer plates which I burnt out and has the potential to save me loads of money , ............but my question to you all is this.........

How can I dry wood real quickly , I had this strange idea after a bottle of wine , will it work

I have a small outbuilding ( used to be an outside loo) , if I fix a solar powered air exhaust fan into the roof and stack up my chopped up wood inside , the room is south facing (5ft x 4ft) and gets warm in summer , will the constant flow of air and heat dry wood any quicker , or do I just have to plan a couple of years in advance of my wood requirements so it can season properly ???

Logic tells me it will work , but experience is one thing I wont get without trying it and dont want to waste time and money converting a room into wood dryer if It has no effect and my nieghbours look at me as if Im some kind of nutter... anyone with wood drying experience ??

That's pretty funny Jeffrey. What does one get when one crosses a woodshed with an outdoor loo? A potty shed?

You have discovered the secret of dry wood and that is quite valid, but you shouldn't have to go to quite such extremes. Besides I would think an outhouse would not hold much wood. Perhaps you would be better off to stack the wood off the ground (on pallets, a row of logs, or at least some plastic) so that the prevailing winds can blow through the stack. Then cover the top (only) of the stack with a tarp. The wood should dry nicely over the summer. It will depend on the wood type of course. Some wood dries more quickly than others. What type of wood are you typically burning?

Status
Not open for further replies.