Drying Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus

Feb 11, 2006
Ohio
Any ideas on how to quickly dry seasoned wood whose bark has gotten wet from snow? I have a large supply, but it all got snow covered and is burning very poorly.

stack as much as you can in your garage (if you're not too paranoid about termites)...the warmer temp from the house and cooling down car(s) helps out. I'd make sure to stack the rest up off the ground as soon as you can and cover it (top only). You'd be surprised how quickly that will dry out w/ a few days of sunshine

When the snow hits, I usually just shuffle the top layer on the pile to get to lower / dryer layers. That is assuming that it doesn't snow again right after I stock up on wood. If I have to deal with snowy wood, I just tap a couple pieces together outside to get as much snow off as possible, then stack them on the hearth by the stove. The hearth may get wet for an hour or so, but by the time that wood is ready to go in, the water will be gone.

Corey

I was a bit unclear about what I meant I see...my thought was to get a few days worth of wood into the garage assuming it's drier inside (no more snow to worry about) and to stack the rest outside where it would be `on the road to recovery' off the ground and in the elements.

Hey Dylan, do you think a warmer garage wouldn't work? I've not tried this myself, it was merely a suggestion...my garage is too full of junk to get any wood inside! :)

Dylan is correct.

Keeping a stash in the garage is ok if you want to keep dry wood dry. Trying to dry it in there would not work because there is no air movement, no sunshine, and the humidity level would saturate quickly- the humidity has nowhere to go.

The best way to dry it is to loosely stack it outside with a (sunny)southern exposure, off the ground, and only the top covered.

Knock the bark off

Even though some of the wood seems seasoned and dry, it will not burn and just charcoals. I asume that means it is still too wet? I can't believe I'm going to have to fire up the gas furnace as all my remaining wood is like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.