Drying Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingchristo

Dec 18, 2016
UK
Well i have recently got a wood burning stove so missed the drying time in the uk. I can get a supply of logs but they need drying. I do have some air drying but also have a supply of wood that has varnish on that i use for my wood working and burn the offcuts in the garden burner. I was wondering if there would be some way of blowing the heat from the garden burner into a pile of logs to dry them off while im burning has anyone hurd of doing this just a thought

Kingchristo,

Welcome to the forum! You will find a lot of good information on this forum regarding the use of woodstoves. Regarding your question, anything that you can do to put additional air/heat across your cut, split, stacked wood will help but in reality unless you have a kiln it is going to take time to season wood. It normally takes me between two and three years to properly season hardwood. Some of the softwoods can season in a year. I always want to have below 20% moisture on the inside of a fresh split. A good "rule of thumb" is to get three years ahead on your wood use. This way you will always have seasoned wood ready for the burning season.

Reactions: edthesweep
Kingchristo,

Welcome to the forum! You will find a lot of good information on this forum regarding the use of woodstoves. Regarding your question, anything that you can do to put additional air/heat across your cut, split, stacked wood will help but in reality unless you have a kiln it is going to take time to season wood. It normally takes me between two and three years to properly season hardwood. Some of the softwoods can season in a year. I always want to have below 20% moisture on the inside of a fresh split. A good "rule of thumb" is to get three years ahead on your wood use. This way you will always have seasoned wood ready for the burning season.
I agree

You could try bringing in some of the wood in plastic totes (bins) and let it sit indoors for a week to see if that helps. Otherwise maybe get some solid fuel for this winter?

You could try bringing in some of the wood in plastic totes (bins) and let it sit indoors for a week to see if that helps. Otherwise maybe get some solid fuel for this winter?
solid fuel?
you mean wood?lol

No, compressed sawdust product, briquettes, and whatever is available as an alternative in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.