Drying your next load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
So I don't have a wood shed (yet) and all this snow and rain has really soaked my fire wood. I was trying to think of a way to dry out the next load of wood before it goes into the stove.

I was thinking of something like an oven rack that will hold the wood 2 or so inches above the stove top. Enough to dry it but not cause it to burn.

You know what I mean?

I've got a simple log rack that sits near my stove and holds about a days worth of wood. When I use some I simply replace it with wood from outside. Surface moisture will be gone by the time it goes in the stove.

It has been discussed here before and the overall agreement was that drying wood on the top of the stove was a really bad idea. The clearance to combustibles is there for a reason.
You just need to get some wood in the room with the stove and it will dry quickly. If there is only surface moisture on the wood that will be gone in the fire in seconds,

If the fire is going good then that moisture isn't a problem, but when it burns down to coal and i throw it in, it seems to sit and smoke for a while.
I just want to have it dry so it don't smoke to much.

Hurricane said:
It has been discussed here before and the overall agreement was that drying wood on the top of the stove was a really bad idea. The clearance to combustibles is there for a reason.
You just need to get some wood in the room with the stove and it will dry quickly. If there is only surface moisture on the wood that will be gone in the fire in seconds,

+1 but a nice rack couple feet away and to the side is what i do

My rack says Rubbermaid on the side and is roughly the size of my firebox.

SolarAndWood said:
My rack says Rubbermaid on the side and is roughly the size of my firebox.

lol I can hold 3/4 of a cord and if stack next to the rack a cord and a half makes thing nice and dry I work 60+ hrs a week as well.
So, if a big storm comes in I have to be ready atleast a week in advance. Like tonight the beech is humping.

I know it would be drier if it sat inside longer but it is part of my fewer touches program. It gets 12 hours to bask in the heat before itself gets tossed in and starts drying the next batch.

SolarAndWood said:
I know it would be drier if it sat inside longer but it is part of my fewer touches program. It gets 12 hours to bask in the heat before itself gets tossed in and starts drying the next batch.

I dont touch as many as most thats for sure, but I do make up some seasoning time by being close to the furnace for a couple of weeks before burning

smokinjay said:
but I do make up some seasoning time by being close to the furnace for a couple of weeks before burning

I will likely do the same when I eventually get to installing a boiler that isn't in the middle of our living space.

SK, try something like this

zoomimages.aspx

Simple to use, you can store them outside, and bring them in loaded with wood if need be. Gives you a leg up on more wood in the house.

http://www.horse.com/Tubtrug-Flexible-Tub-BSA70.html

Hurricane said:

+2 . . . in my case a nice woodbox with a plastic tote inside to catch any of the melting snow/ice and wood chips/sawdust.

skinnykid said:
So I don't have a wood shed (yet) and all this snow and rain has really soaked my fire wood. I was trying to think of a way to dry out the next load of wood before it goes into the stove.

I was thinking of something like an oven rack that will hold the wood 2 or so inches above the stove top. Enough to dry it but not cause it to burn.

You know what I mean?
You do have the top of your wood covered right. If so the wood should not be that wet. Was your wood dry in the beginning? As for starting with coals, use smaller splits, even kindling, and work up to larger sizes as you get better flames. If your going to be in the same room try opening the side door slightly to provide more draft. But please don't wander away and set the room on fire. Be safe.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.