Drywall temp behind insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KB007

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Our Regency I3100 sits inside a mfg fireplace which is inside a full cinder block chase which runs from basement to roofline. The total depth from front of the brick (front of insert)to the back of the cinder block is approx 48". The backside is our kitchen which has strapping and drywall forming some pantry cupboards in our kitchen. The insert uses a full 6" stainless liner in the original masonry chimney. Now that I have an IR thermometer, I was checking the temp of the drywall inside the cupboards, and at the hottest part it runs about 125-129 F. Apart from melting the peanut butter in the cupboard is this too hot?

Nope..........normal ..........I'd begin to become a TAD concerned, if the surrounding surfaces were exceeding 200ºF + though. Could be representative of a second look at your installation.

I realize that our particular stove is a stand-alone wood stove, and not an Insert, but having said that, I typically see 125ºF or so, on surrounding surfaces.

-Soupy1957

90 deg F above ambient is acceptable... so, for example, if the room temp is 70 deg F, a wall will be within acceptable limits at 160 deg F..

Are both stoves connected to the same masonry structure (2 flues)? If yes, is this with just the Regency running or both stoves?

2 separate flues, 1 cinder block chase. this is with just the Regency running. Never had both running at th same time, don't really expect to use the basement stiove much now we have the one upstairs.

Yup, I remember it now. I'm wondering if they provided any clearance to combustibles for this masonry chimney? I was a little concerned about what the wall temp would be if both stoves were fired up at once. Is the Regency liner insulated?

Masonry was all original to the house. Regency liner is not insulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.