DSL - green and backup power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
One of those things that took a long time to register in my aging brain. Our DSL/wifi modem has a 12vdc wall wart power supply. This is well suited for a 12vdc solar system; also for a battery backup to keep the modem active for telephone/wifi access in a power outage. In power outages our DSL phone service and wifi access also goes down. Hooking up a 12vdc battery to the modem is an easy and quick fix to keep these active during the outage. The current draw for our modem on 12vdc is 360ma.

Good tip jb.

I have the modem and router on a robust UPS system together with my primary computer. When the power goes out, I shut down the main computer and just run the laptop as needed.

I go to the genny shed and pull the rope.

I go to the genny shed and pull the rope.

I too have a gen, portable 5500w/240v with a 10 circuit transfer switch on our main panel. A little inconvenient to bring it out and plug in, so an outage needs to be expected to last awhile or I need to be doing something really important to bring it out right away. The computer/media/DSL circuit is on the transfer switch.

I run a battery bank maintained by a 45 watt Harbor freight panel, I have it hooked up to my generator dc output. I can run my heat circ pumps and well pump for 12 plus hours before I need to recharge. I can also charge phones and laptops. I will check out my modem / router that would be great. I have not had to use it yet. In 49 years of my life so far I have never lost power long enough to need backup.

Wow! 49 years no power loss for very long....Must be some kind of record.

Iv never lost power for more ethan a few hours ,at 56 YRs old thats a pretty good record. Got a wood stove for heat in the winter just in case .and a water powered sump pump,what else is there?

We lose it at least once or twice a year, sometimes for days. Looks like I have to go back to plan b, comcast just sent me a new modem with no wall wart power supply, just plugin direct to wall outlet. Looks like I'll have to stick with the UPS and genny. Good news is 53Mbps download. That rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.