Dual S.S. flue roof penetration ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas

Feb 25, 2007
If I go with S.S. class A, I will have 2 side by side flues.
as far as the roof penetration, what is the best set up.

This will be on the back of the house and you could not see it if you tried.
I was "thinking" about framing a "chimney box" on the roof and capping it like a "traditional" McMansion chimney.
This "chimney" would only be about 2' tall, as the flues would penetrate the roof about 2' from the peak.

Any other idea's on "dual penetration"

Thanks
Nick

Hey, Nick

<>If I go with S.S. class A, I will have 2 side by side flues.
as far as the roof penetration, what is the best set up.
This will be on the back of the house and you could not see it if you tried.
I was "thinking" about framing a "chimney box" on the roof and capping it like a "traditional" McMansion chimney.
This "chimney" would only be about 2' tall, as the flues would penetrate the roof about 2' from the peak.<>

Building a rooftop chase is your best bet, if you want to keep the flues as close together as possible...
You'll only hafta cut one hole thru the roof, as well...
You will hafta go higher than 2' tho, you hafta exit the roof three feet MINIMUM...If that 3' gets you 2' higher than the ridge, you'll be fine.
You'll hafta fabricate a "chase top" out of aluminum (or copper if you really want the McMansion look)...
You'll need 2 Aluminum collars (with copious amounts of silicone), & 2 storm collars on the top & step flashing for the side walls...
If you durarock the side walls of your chase, you can apply cultured stone & end up with a nicely finished job...
Good luck with your project

Status
Not open for further replies.