dubble puntuation = face

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
If I put 2 exclamation points a face comes up when I post. I think there is some other ones also. Is this
just the way it is suppost to be? It's kind of annoying when you post and there is a face that don't match
the punctuation and shouldn't be there any how.

Those are keyboard shortcuts for the smilies. Try putting a space between them.

! !

Those are keyboard shortcuts for the smilies. Try putting a space between them.

! !
Ok Will take some getting used to. I don't think it was the same in the old forum ? Seems like the short cut should match the face. Like 2 exclamation marks = excited face.

IMHO, kbd shortcuts should all start with a standard character like a full colon ":" or semi-colon ";". In the real world though, that is seldom the case. Some forums let you turn off the smiley feature at post time.

Here is a sample of kbd shortcuts for a different forum.

Complete-List-of-Facebook-Chat-Emoticons-Smileys.jpg

If you mouse over the smilies how to invoke/type one is off to the right

I have a habit of typing :censor: because it is a smilie elsewhere for a censored smilie .
It's a bit nicer than letter substitution for cuss words ( sh!t, etc)

It's rare that the normal course of punctuation inadvertently causes smilies to show up in my post, but I note with some dismay that there's no 'disable smilies' check box available. That's a pretty typical staple of modern, smilie-friendly forum engines. Maybe I just can't find it? That's the typical solution to this sort of thing.

Craig, I like how you kept the smileys from the old site. Kinda like a security blanket! The double exclamation smiley is a bit of a PITA, but I gotta tell ya overall, I think you did a fantastic job with the transition. I am sure you have been busy, but your work shows on the site. keep up the good work....

Status
Not open for further replies.