Dubious wood burning story on the local news

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoInferno

Minister of Fire
The local CBS affiliate just ran a story on the increased interest in wood burning here in the DC area. Not sure they really did their homework, though. One guy interviewed said you could heat your house on 2 cords of wood. It takes me 4-5, and my house isn't large (2000 sqft) or poorly insulated by DC standards. Then they switched over to talking about pellet stoves, but the whole time they were showing footage of a wood fireplace insert! They even zoomed up on the baffle plate with no explanation as to what was shown. Anyone who didn't know better would assume you must just dump the pellets in the middle of the firebox.

Here's the reduced text version, but no video.
http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=77723&catid=158

Journalists often seem to be not too knowledgeable about "hands on" kinds of stuff. They seem to have really good clothes and nice coiffures and lots of makeup though. I guess that's more important than accurate news.

DiscoInferno said:
The local CBS affiliate just ran a story on the increased interest in wood burning here in the DC area. Not sure they really did their homework, though. One guy interviewed said you could heat your house on 2 cords of wood. It takes me 4-5, and my house isn't large (2000 sqft) or poorly insulated by DC standards. Then they switched over to talking about pellet stoves, but the whole time they were showing footage of a wood fireplace insert! They even zoomed up on the baffle plate with no explanation as to what was shown. Anyone who didn't know better would assume you must just dump the pellets in the middle of the firebox.

Here's the reduced text version, but no video.
http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=77723&catid=158

I dunno. I live in mid-Vermont and have a very small stove, and I heated my 1300-square foot home through about a third of last winter on about 1/2 cords. So 2 cords for a home in D.C. doesn't sound to me like not enough.

IU've been interviewed (not on wood) and they hacked what I said.

I know a guy that heats on 1.5 cord in NH! One side of the house is built against a hill, the other is a greenhouse for passive solar heat. Without a house really designed for it (or in warmer regions), you need more wood.

Adios Pantalones said:
IU've been interviewed (not on wood) and they hacked what I said.

I know a guy that heats on 1.5 cord in NH! One side of the house is built against a hill, the other is a greenhouse for passive solar heat. Without a house really designed for it (or in warmer regions), you need more wood.

I've seen a house which you described in Londonderry, is this the one your talking about

Any time you see any sort of piece on a topic you are even semi familiar with you will see scads of errors. And heaven help you if you are an expert on anything because most media coverage is just laughingly innacurate. I don't even watch or read anything in mainstream media that falls within my field as it just upsets me.
Journalism is very lazy nowadays- nobody checks facts any more.

LONDONDERRY said:
Adios Pantalones said:
It's in Deerfield. Completely off the grid, too.

I saw a while ago a house in Londonderry that half of it was built into the side of a small hill, domed shaped it. It was for sale on NNREAN

Cool! The guy I know has a nice small post and beam on a couple hunnert acres. Incredible property... and his outhouse is even attached!

With the ever increasing rush to get news out the door in order to stay relevant and compete against internet sources, it doesn't surprise me that they don't check too many facts anymore on the local "old media".

-SF

You've got to take what you see, read and hear with a grain of salt no matter if it is in print, radio or TV.

Journalists of all ilk are trained in how to get the story and how to best present the story. Yes, they get the facts . . . but usually they do not take the time (due to training or simply due to the fact that they also are writing/covering several other major stories that day as well) to dig deeper into the story.

In my opinion journalists are paid to know a little about a lot . . . for example I don't know the first thing about the various nuances of the court system, but I can tell you in detail just about anything related to firefighting whereas a journalist needs to know a little bit about the court system and the terminology (i.e. indictment vs. conviction, grand jury, etc.), a little bit about firefighting and its terms (i.e. turnout gear, three alarm, fully involved, etc.) and a little bit about a bazillion other topics ranging from politics to some lady who thinks she has seen Elvis' likeness in a shriveled up potato she found in her refrigerator. As Cearbhaill mentioned when you are familiar with a topic, any story can typically be picked apart for problems, slight inaccuracies, etc. (i.e. don't even get me started on movies . . . like Backdraft ;) )

Quite honestly, if anyone of us had been asked to write a story about burning wood I suspect the story we would write before hanging out here at hearth.com would be a much, much different story than the one we would write now. It only takes reading a few comments from newbies (and weren't we all one at one time) who come here with pre-conceived notions to realize that there are many other folks out there who haven't been able to or wanted to take the time to learn more about this topic (i.e. how many stories have we heard about from folks who have neighbors who think they are not heating with wood due to no woodsmoke coming from their chimney?) This hindsight comes from spending a lot of time here and learning all we can about this topic -- again a luxury that journalists working on a deadline and with other stories to complete probably do not have.

So why am I here "defending" the journalists? Well, I kind of, sort of used to be one. Went to college and graduated with a degree in Communications . . . while I only worked for a short time full-time in the field (worked for a trade publication . . . until I realized that the trade publication's interest in commercial fishing was something I had no experience or desire to learn anything about) . . . I did go on to be a stringer (part time freelancer) with a couple of local newspapers (and even had a bi-weekly humor column for a while.)

These days I tend to work with the local media whenever they are looking for a story on fire prevention, CO poisoning, etc. and I'm happy to say that instead of butchering my words or altering what I've said they in fact tend to make me appear a lot smarter than I actually am . . . namely by removing all of the "Uh, I dunno", "Ah . . . um . . . ah . . . um" and other dumb comments I might make.

Certainly there are houses that can be heated with 2 cords, and DC winters aren't all that cold compared to NE or the upper midwest. But most houses in this area are going to need a lot more, and I sure hope nobody bases their evaluation of the economics of switching to wood based on the guy they interviewed.

I should point out that the local news here is quite strong in general, although I'd put the CBS affiliate at the bottom of the pile. (They keep firing their more experienced reporters/anchors to cut costs, who then show up on the other stations.) I cringe now when I go back to the UP and watch the local news, especially on the weekends. Although, they'd probably get a wood-burning segment right...

firefighterjake said:
Journalists of all ilk are trained in how to get the story and how to best present the story. Yes, they get the facts . . . but usually they do not take the time (due to training or simply due to the fact that they also are writing/covering several other major stories that day as well) to dig deeper into the story.

Very, very well said. Especially on the short deadlines of daily media, it's almost impossible to get every detail right. Still, it is very annoying to see oneself badly misquoted on factual issues.

Cearbhaill said:
Any time you see any sort of piece on a topic you are even semi familiar with you will see scads of errors. And heaven help you if you are an expert on anything because most media coverage is just laughingly innacurate. I don't even watch or read anything in mainstream media that falls within my field as it just upsets me.
Journalism is very lazy nowadays- nobody checks facts any more.

It's not new, it's always been that way. If anything, it was worse decades ago because the lack of technology meant even shorter deadlines than they have now. It's really not laziness, though. Sometimes it's flat-out stupidity or incompetence, but mostly it's plain old time pressure. Journalists are actually among the least lazy people out there.

A few year back I read an article in our local newspaper, that was completely wrong. So I contacted the reporter and he told me, that he quoted the sources he interviewed and if it was wrong I should contact them. So basically they don't care if it's right or wrong, just print it. You can see lots of bias in the political arena also, I guess everyone has an agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.