Duct fan idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Csnydes10

Nov 30, 2014
Canada
New to this site guys so just a question for you. Putting an insert in the basement. I am thinking about putting some duct work in on the wall directly across from the wood insert, about 16 feet away. Plan on putting it at the top of the wall, 6" duct work, put a fan in it, go about 6 feet then 45 it up to the living room floor above. I have read some threads about guys doing this 25-30 feet on here, don't really say how they make out though. I think it will work good. I also plan on leaving the stairs open and cutting one 10x12 grate in the hallway to the hallway upstairs, hoping cold air will come down one, hot air up the other. Looking forward to your ideas, thanks in advance. Ps, it is unfinished on the other side of that wall as it is my furnace room so it will be easy access.

Sometimes it's easier to force cold air down, let it heat up, then it will rise on it's own.

Reactions: Huntindog1
Circulation is the goal. It is often easier to move cold air than warm air.

Status
Not open for further replies.