Ducted Circulation System

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireWalker

Feeling the Heat
Aug 7, 2008
Lake George
A project I have been considering for a long time now is to mechanically take heated air from the balcony space above my wood stove and move it to my new addition in the back of the house. I have access for ductwork and have can get a nice straight shot from my second floor balcony ceiling to high up on the wall in my new addition, the whole length of duct would only need to be about 14'.

I've tried fans and they just don't do it for me! I'm looking at a 6 or 8" round duct fan like this:

http://www.espenergy.com/3013_small.jpg

The fan can be controlled by a cool device I just found online which is basically a pair of 110v outlets that plug into a standard outlet and switch power on or off depending on room temp. The one I was looking at comes on at 78 and turns off at 70.

Now for the question. What will a fan pushing 250 CFM running continuously do for a space that is approximatly 250sf and typically the temprature in said room won't fall below 55 unless someone leaves the outside door open? Note; the space in question does have a cathedral ceiling.

What if I were to add to this system an air filter just behind the inlet grille, would the small volume of air be an affective filter?

That fan is garbage and won't last very long. I bought same one at Home Depot, then went and bought 2 real fans like this....
http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php/fantech/fg-6/?product=137122
Variable speed with a speed control switch, which you can't use with the cheapo. The cheapo uses a once & done overheat protection, the Fantechs reset if the overheat safety trips.
You get what you pay for.

Much better fan, thanks!

Oops, your right my air is going the wrong way.

Edit:
The speed control switch is extra. And another hint, the speed controllers are MUCH cheaper for the same one on ebay.
I would go with the speed control switch instead of the temp controlled. The temp controlled might have that fan turning on & off constantly, or not enough.

The beauty of this setup will be the fan and temp switch will be located in a very small attic space that my insulated metal chimney passes thru. As long as a fire is going, this space is heated by the chimney which will/should keep fan running as long as there is a fire burning. Knowing this, I think I should be able to fine tune the system with variable fan speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.