Duel Non-CAT & CAT hybrids ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrprusak

Nov 16, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska
These hybrid stoves with both technologies were to have been coming out on the market. VC said several months ago they will have one out early 2011 but have not seen any info on it... Has anyone seen these available for sale?

Woodstock says their's will be out in 3-4 months.

branchburner said:
There are out now at VC dealers, for the last month or two around here - just noticed, they finally added them to their website:
http://www.vermontcastings.com/products.asp?model=Defiant Two-in-One

I am not sure, but I think the Defiant "2 IN 1" stoves just gives you an option to use just the CAT or just the Non-CAT... but not the both at the same time... that is what I think a true hybrid stove is, both technologies burning together....

john_alaska said:
branchburner said:
There are out now at VC dealers, for the last month or two around here - just noticed, they finally added them to their website:

I am not sure, but I think the Defiant "2 IN 1" stoves just gives you an option to use just the CAT or just the Non-CAT... but not the both at the same time... that is what I think a true hybrid stove is, both technologies burning together....

Correct. It is one or the other. There isn't a stove that uses both at the same time.

BrowningBAR said:
john_alaska said:
branchburner said:

Correct. It is one or the other. There isn't a stove that uses both at the same time.

The Woodstock will incorporate both - I believe the user will not choose which, the stove itself will decide.

The VC 2-in-1 is an either/or: the user must remove the combustor to use the stove as a non-cat. Still not sure I understand it, other than as a marketing solution.

John, was your understanding that VC had a different, additional hybrid coming out in 2011, or is it the 2-in-1 you were thinking of?

branchburner said:
BrowningBAR said:
john_alaska said:
branchburner said:

The Woodstock will incorporate both - I believe the user will not choose which, the stove itself will decide.

The VC 2-in-1 is an either/or: the user must remove the combustor to use the stove as a non-cat. Still not sure I understand it, other than as a marketing solution.

John, was your understanding that VC had a different, additional hybrid coming out in 2011, or is it the 2-in-1 you were thinking of?

Yes, my understanding was the newer hybrids will have both techologies working together in one stove, not like the "2 in 1" which is just one choice or the other...Maybe I am dreaming of the best solution, "I want em all together"...

Status
Not open for further replies.