Duel purpose flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moe Hunter

Feb 6, 2013
Gang, thanks for the forum, a tremendous resource indeed.

We put a PE insert into our existing fireplace two monthes ago and haven't used oil since. Love it.

We have been offered a second stove and want to put it in the basement and use the existing flue to vent it. Here's a couple
Of pics to help illustrate what I'm saying ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363269927.340225.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1363269943.462293.jpg

That piping vents our oil
Furnace, have you any information on having a duel purpose chimney that can vent both oil and stove?

Thanks.

MOE.

Don't know where you are but most areas do not allow more than one appliance per flue. I definitely would not do it if they used different fuels. Are there any unused flues in that chimney? Have you considered running a new flue (class a in a chase or outside)?

KaptJaq

Thanks JAQ,

I just started researching this and have found that yeah, this doesn't go over well in most jurisdictions.

Gonna have to rethink this.

Cheers.

Can you squeeze two stainless liners side-by-side up that chimney? Maybe if you go oval? That's the way one of mine was set up for many years, prior to me buying the house.

I believe in Mass, but my information is very dated, you can have multiple devices using the same flue, but they have to be the same fuel.

New code may be different than when I last looked into this 30 years ago. :)

I believe in Mass, but my information is very dated, you can have multiple devices using the same flue, but they have to be the same fuel.

New code may be different than when I last looked into this 30 years ago. :)
Same in NY. Multiple appliances with same fuel. I have seen oil furnace with gas water heater in many places, but it is frowned upon.

The only example I've seen where its allowed is with the Tarm excel dual fuel boiler.

code is one solid fuel appliance per flue, cannot be combined with any other appliance requiring a flue. believe this is in the national book. Locals might look the other way. only time this does not apply is when the furnace is a combined unit of which there are a few out there. Reason is there were many instances where the flue became blocked and CO was back fed into the dwelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.