Dueling 460's - Aftermarket Top-End vs OEM on camera.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not timing but who had a better time. Almost seemed like OEM did??

Nope. It's a tie! Just about even. I will say the OEM saw is a good bit smoother to run. Sounds meaner due to the muffler too. Both saws have a dual-port muffler but the OEM one is an empty can while the aftermarket version has a baffle inside.

Thought the OEM one sounded more aggressive.

Nope. It's a tie! Just about even. I will say the OEM saw is a good bit smoother to run. Sounds meaner due to the muffler too. Both saws have a dual-port muffler but the OEM one is an empty can while the aftermarket version has a baffle inside.

That's weird. As my OEM 460 muff has a Baffle inside (just off the exhaust port on the cyl) and the dual port I bought online (Aus OEM doesn't) I think you don't have the American OEM internal part. As it has a baffle. The Aus part and after markets don't have a baffle.

My MS 460 mag now has no baffle and its Tri port. As the Aus model has a much larger factory opening, added a second port w/deflector and the factory dual port front. Must say, it screams. Pretty sure I am gonna measure squish and delete the base gasket. This is more saw than I will ever need. But just in case, I have a 395XP !!! ;lol

That's weird. As my OEM 460 muff has a Baffle inside (just off the exhaust port on the cyl) and the dual port I bought online (Aus OEM doesn't) I think you don't have the American OEM internal part. As it has a baffle. The Aus part and after markets don't have a baffle.

My MS 460 mag now has no baffle and its Tri port. As the Aus model has a much larger factory opening, added a second port w/deflector and the factory dual port front. Must say, it screams. Pretty sure I am gonna measure squish and delete the base gasket. This is more saw than I will ever need. But just in case, I have a 395XP !!! ;lol

Not all the aftermarket mufflers are the same. Some have the baffle and some do not. Mine was part of a rebuild kit. The OEM muffler I have on the other saw is the Aus model if I am not mistaken.

Makin' chips today! >>

Looks nice MM, a pair of real cutting machines. I thought the OEM 52mm one sounded nicer too. That 54mm BB didn't seem to be significantly better overall. I just debated getting one of those BB kits for mine, glad I didn't, just used the OEM cylinder and put in a Meteor. Pulled an "MM" myself ............................ punched a hole in my 460 too _g!!!;em . I'll post it .... :cool:.

Reactions: MasterMech
..........................My MS 460 mag now has no baffle and its Tri port............. !!! ;lol

Tri port, holy smokes Dex, I want to see and hear this bad baby, post it up! I just started modifying the muffler on my 460 after a recent repair, had not touched it to date. Now you got me thinking "quad" ............... I already drilled two more holes over the spark arrester screen to improve that area. I was planning a modest one on the other side like I did on my 036, but this changes everything! I might have to call Scotty to weld me up something now ::-) .

460.1.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
Tri port, holy smokes Dex, I want to see and hear this bad baby, post it up! I just started modifying the muffler on my 460 after a recent repair, had not touched it to date. Now you got me thinking "quad" ............... I already drilled two more holes over the spark arrester screen to improve that area. I was planning a modest one on the other side like I did on my 036, but this changes everything! I might have to call Scotty to weld me up something now ::-) .

View attachment 110331

Pics to come later..

There is the factory hole (bigger than a nickel), the second port with screen and deflector on opposite side, and the front cover is the 3rd port.

The factory OEM muff on my 460 had the deflector. I bought a new can that had no deflector.

Also, the factory cover has a stock opening that is smaller than a dime. Its a terrible pic and hard to tell (phone batt didn't allow flash, so I used my DeWalt light). You can see the stock port is small. The port on mine in that location is much bigger in itself. Plus the additional 2 ports, make for a Mean sounding Saw !!!

20130903_183921.jpg 20130903_183946.jpg 20130903_184000.jpg 20130903_184109.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
Looks nice MM, a pair of real cutting machines. I thought the OEM 52mm one sounded nicer too. That 54mm BB didn't seem to be significantly better overall. I just debated getting one of those BB kits for mine, glad I didn't, just used the OEM cylinder and put in a Meteor. Pulled an "MM" myself ............................ punched a hole in my 460 too _g!!!;em . I'll post it .... :cool:.

The pair was put to the test this weekend in some monster silver maple. 40"+...
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/getting-into-some-big-wood.113055/

If you read the build thread for that saw, you'll see that I found some pretty big differences in port size compared to the original jug for that saw. With some grinder work, these kits could be real hot rods for sure, or they function just fine as a cheap way to resurrect a saw. I gotta say I think I like the way the OEM saw runs, throttle response seems "crisp" compared to the aftermarket. The difference is miniscule but it is there. I dunno if it's because the muffler on the OEM saw is less restrictive (empty can) or if it really is in the ports.

Really thinking about sending the aftermarket saw out for an attitude adjustment.... ::-)

Did you do the exact same thing I did with the oil pump screw?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.