Dug out Grandpa's old saws.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinPiney

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2008
In the Pines, NJ
I was grabbin some stuff out of the shop today and ran across my grandpa's old homelite wiz saws. He used to have a chainsaw shop and was also a homelite dealer. Though yall might like the pics. Sorry they're from my cellphone.

Wood037.jpg

Wood039.jpg

Very cool and I love the bow saws..

I really like the old saws. In August, in Baraboo Wisconsin, the antique club there puts on a big show. Part of that show is an antique chainsaw contest. Very cool to watch.

Very nice. I have never seen a bow saw like that before. Its amazing to me what they used to use.

I guess i am kinda a youngster, but what is the point of the bow saw?? I have also never seen that, deos it provide an advantge , or is it just they way they used to be?

Nice pics!

My father-in-law actually has one of his saws set up with a bow. The newer ones have an additional guard on the bottom as well as the top. The little spur on the bottom helps to keep the chain out of the dirt if you are cutting wood laying on the ground. It is nice for this, but is useless for felling trees. It is also limited to bucking stuff that is smaller than you can do w/ a straight bar saw. Often if we are cutting together, I'll fell the tree. Then while I buck the larger stuff, he can make quick work of stuff a foot in dia. and under. The newer bow bars are less versatile than the older ones, because of the lower guard, but also less dangerous. A lot of chainsaw injuries and deaths had been attributed to bow saws through the years. And although they may have earned a stigma, in all fairness to bows, saws in general have gotten a lot safer since bows were popular. The newer bows (w/ guards) installed on a newer model saw could be useful and safe (within the realm of considering an engine driven metal cutting chain spinning at high revolution can be "safe").

Smokin, that's super cool. I hope you have children to pass those on to--I sometimes wonder what I'll pass on to my kids. I once thought it would be my Rolex, but I sold that for the house downpayment! As of this morning, I thought I'd pass on a Montblanc LeGrand Platinum fountain pen but since I just posted it on eBay, I guess that's not gonna happen either!

Maybe he'll have a Stihl 361?

S

Brings back some memories. Memories like how heavy those beasts were.

quads said:
I really like the old saws. In August, in Baraboo Wisconsin, the antique club there puts on a big show. Part of that show is an antique chainsaw contest. Very cool to watch.

Were you there last year? I had a great time. Enjoyed the saws so much I didn't get out to see the rest of the show.

f3cbboy said:
I guess i am kinda a youngster, but what is the point of the bow saw?? I have also never seen that, deos it provide an advantge , or is it just they way they used to be?

Someone can probably expand on this but the idea was there was no bar to pinch so you could just buck up the wood without having to worry.

wendell said:
quads said:

Were you there last year? I had a great time. Enjoyed the saws so much I didn't get out to see the rest of the show.
I try to go every year, but I was unable to last year. Looking forward to this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.