Dug wood out of the snow piles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roundgunner

Feeling the Heat
Nov 26, 2013
Rural CT
Dug some wood I had stacked out of the snow piles today. It felt good to get out and cut and stack. I did about half a cord in a couple hours.

Reactions: Soundchasm and pen
Did some cutting and splitting in the snow last weekend for a short while, almost a 1/2 cord done as well. Even if the temp isn't that warm, the sun is strong and it's nice... I'm trying to enjoy the snow being on the ground as I'm not looking forward to the mud that comes next.

I like those front chains on the tractor.

Yeah without the chains it will slide down the blacktop driveway right onto the road unless I could get enough traction to steer it into a tree. Nether option seems good on the way down.

I did some more today.

Reactions: D8Chumley and pen
I put my snow shoes on, dragged the plastic sled out to where I cut some birch last fall, dug down through three feet of snow, pulled it back to the driveway, and started splitting. Can you say "pent up demand"?

I'm not completely crazy - the wood is on the other side of a boggy area and getting it back to the wood lot after the snow is gone will be difficult.

If you say so, then I'll certainly give you dedicated!

Yeah - self-diagnosis is unreliable. The sun was out, I needed the exercise, and there's not much else I can do outside right now!

Reactions: pen
Little black flies soon enough in your area. By May you won't want to be in the woods at all. I'll take mosquitoes instead any day.

Little black flies soon enough in your area. By May you won't want to be in the woods at all. I'll take mosquitoes instead any day.
True. The native brook trout fishing up north is so good then that I'll just put on long-sleeves and a head net and have at it. There's a price to pay...
301.jpg

It's easy getting wood around now that the snow has compressed some. Just two more feet to melt...
IMG_0570.JPG IMG_0571.JPG

Wow chains all the way around. OMG I want that tractor. Nice work.

I get a lot of use out of it. I was really surprised how bad it was on steep asphalt when plowing snow. I slid down a few times then decided it was time for chains. Not cheap but now I haven't been stuck or had that thrill ride in a few years.

I seems to be just the right size for me to use at least a couple times a week.

Reactions: D8Chumley
can't believe i can say this, but our snows pretty much all gone, pretty mild winter for wisconsin over all. Course we'll probably get some snow in april yet. Just need it to dry out so i can get busy on the new wood sheds and finish cutting and stacking what i didnt get to last fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.