dulling files too fast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
There must be some sort of trick to filing. I seem to dull my round files right away.

Brand new I can feel them cutting away mettal. But after only one or two sharpenings I can feel the file getting "slippery".

I try to sharpen every tank of gas. I sharpen so that the file cuts from the back of the tooth towards the front. And I tap the file on the tailgate after every two or three saw teeth. Still the files seem to go dull rather quickly.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
There must be some sort of trick to filing. I seem to dull my round files right away.

Brand new I can feel them cutting away mettal. But after only one or two sharpenings I can feel the file getting "slippery".

I try to sharpen every tank of gas. I sharpen so that the file cuts from the back of the tooth towards the front. And I tap the file on the tailgate after every two or three saw teeth. Still the files seem to go dull rather quickly.

Do you tap the tip of the file on the tailgate or the teeth? If you tap the teeth you're likely chipping them.

Might want to make sure you don't make contact with the tooth on the "back-stroke" with the file, if you are not already doing this.

Instead of tapping the file, use a hand wire brush. Run the brush parallel to the file teeth (usually perpendicular to the file handle on a round file) to clean them out without wearing on the biting surface.

They never feel the same after that initial use. And seem to stay the same after it for a pretty long time.

CountryBoy19 said:
Black Jaque Janaviac said:

Do you tap the tip of the file on the tailgate or the teeth? If you tap the teeth you're likely chipping them.

Mmmmmmm Hmmmmmmmm!

All files are not created equal. Pferd supposedly makes great ones, but a local shop won't carry them anymore because they sent him 20 dozen files that had a bad heat treatment and dulled instantly. Pferd refused to take them back. Save Edge has the best rep right now, I'm gonna order a dozen of each size and try them. When they get too dull for chain, they'll still work fine in wood.

Files tips:

1. Don't let files rub against each other. File steel cuts file steel. Keep them wrapped in cloth and separate from each other.

2. Don't touch files with your bare hands. Skin oils can be corrosive to tool steel. Use a proper handle.

3. Use firm pressure with a file. You want to form a chip, not just skim over the top, that dulls the file.

4. Drop your wrist ever so slightly through the stroke. It helps keep the file going in a straight line.

5. Don't pull the file backwards in the cut. That wears them out fast. Lift it slightly on the return stroke.

Try turning the file baqckwards and Pulling it through the sharpening stroke. Also if you rub blackboard chalk on the file . That will keep the file from "Loading Up
Mike

Thanks guys.

I'll tap just the tip of the file, and make sure to lift the file off the surface on the backstroke. . . after I get a new file.

TreePointer said:
Also make make sure you aren't allowing the file to twist on your strokes.

HOGWASH!

Have " twist and dipped " my file for 25+ years. When you master the "logger hook" on your chains then you'll know what a really shap chain is.
Twisting don't have a dadgum thing 2 dew wit file longevity!

A-cord-ingLEE said:
TreePointer said:
Also make make sure you aren't allowing the file to twist on your strokes.

HOGWASH!

Have " twist and dipped " my file for 25+ years. When you master the "logger hook" on your chains then you'll know what a really shap chain is.
Twisting don't have a dadgum thing 2 dew wit file longevity!

Sorry, I didn't explain it well enough in my first post. What I meant was that allowing the file to twist on its own will make it seem that the file is dull before its time when it actually is not.

Look at the overall pattern on a typical round file. You will see that it spirals around the long axis, similar to the spiraling lines of a candycane. If the file is not screwed tightly enough into a file guide (or not tightly in a handle) the spiral pattern will turn the file during the filing stroke. If the file turns in this direction, the spiral pattern is not cutting as designed, and it will seem like the file is prematurely dull.

Now I know why my files get dull so fast....didn't know that you weren't supposed to back file....thanks folks...learn something new all the time here.

if you buy multipacks of files, store them in straws in the original box, or file sleeves. and pick up a file cleaner, looks kinda like a wire brush crossed with a cat hair brush. personally I have found the pferd and stihl files to be steller performers.

It also depends on the maker of files. I can not speak so much for round files as to I recently started to sharped my own chains, but, I hand tune a lot of skis. There is a HUGE difference between manufactures.

You can also use drinking straws to store your files in, so the don't get mucked up.

Cheers, KC

Status
Not open for further replies.