dumb dishwasher installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2009
NC
Trying to install this new KitchenAid dishwasher ... The drain hose is clamped to the left-hand side of the unit (see photo). But it kind of looks like it's designed to be able to be unclipped from those clamps so it'll reach farther (like to a sink cabinet on right-hand side). But only the top clamp looks like it comes loose easily. Confused.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 245
Its clamped that way to prevent it from draining when its not supposed to. Just like a clothes washing machine. It an be unclipped as long as the that much height is maintained.

Reactions: semipro
Mine too, and I unclipped it upon install. I ran up to the sink air gap under the cabinet beside it. The OEM hose on these things is super short so they include a lame extension.

The instructions will be very clear about the need for an air gap or high loop.

One more thing. I bought and installed a three sided plastic pan for the dishawasher to set in. I LOVE IT!! Dishwasher leaks are the silent killer and with the pan I know that leaks will be routed out front where I can see them before serious damage occurs.

My new dishwasher had a leaky door seal. Warranty repaired.

The new ones take like 90 minutes to wash a load and have a filter that needs frequent cleaning.

Reactions: semipro
you need to keep a loop if you take out that loop the sink could drain into the dishwasher especially if you have a disposal and what a stink. and if not noticed that stink water will come out onto the floor.

The new ones take like 90 minutes to wash a load ...
Try 2-2.5 hours ! At least according to the users guide. "More efficient, like driving your car more slowly".

Try 2-2.5 hours ! At least according to the users guide. "More efficient, like driving your car more slowly".
Some longer , the pot scrub setting can be 3 hours plus. I usually use the light wash setting, still about 1.5 hours

if your hot water tank is set to 120 degrees that is why it takes so long. your dishwasher is trying to heat the water to what it needs. most dishwashers like the incoming water to be 140 degrees and then if using the sanitize option it raises the water temp to 160 for so many minutes or 180 for a little less than the time for 160.

I have my dishwasher and washing machine bypassing the tempering valve and getting very hot water,still takes that long.
Instruction book for hi-efficiency appliances states the long run times are normal operation.

I just started experimenting with adding phosphates back into the dishwasher soap. They were sneakily removed a few years back.

highbeam what do the phosphates do for the clean?

I have my dishwasher and washing machine bypassing the tempering valve and getting very hot water,still takes that long.
Instruction book for hi-efficiency appliances states the long run times are normal operation.

they do have to run a certain amount of time to sanitize. when i shut off the sanitize option it cuts down the wash time. if i'm not mistaken i think my manual said sanitize takes 15 mins of 160 degrees

highbeam what do the phosphates do for the clean?

http://dishwashers.reviewed.com/features/why-your-dishwasher-can-t-clean-like-it-used-to

http://www.geappliances.com/ge/dishwashers/dishwasher-detergent-tips.htm
http://cascadeclean.com/en-us/solutions-tips/cascade-faqs/phosphates

It turns out that residential detergent use with phosphates is a drop in the bucket and had little or nothing to do with the actual phosphate issue in our lakes and streams. The problem there is fertilizer.

Commercial detergents (hotels, schools) still have the phosphorus because apparently they need it more.

The problem I'm trying to solve is clouding on glasses and food junk stuck in the bottom of glasses. So far, the TSP I'm adding is making a noticeable differnence.

Yep took out of house hold products number of years ago ( thanks EPA) so now you work overtime to get stuff clean. Your water hardness can have a major impact on washing of anything. I get into a lot of very fine dust of one type or another so add a cup or so of cleaner /degreaser to laundry. Breaks the water hardness for me. Use the same stuff to pretreat the nasty areas besides. Yes i know about water softeners - but they get expensive when sit down and look at how much water they use- so you are paying the local utility for water or electric to run well pump. and then there is the down side of it on a septic system if you have one.

Awhile back on one of the home shows- they were redoing the plumbing to separate gray water ( sinks bath, laundry ) from the stool effluent, routing only the stool to the septic and the rest in to some other filter system.

Last edited:
Water hardness has a significant effect on all detergent effectiveness. The new dishwasher has instructions that tell you to really reduce the amount of dishwasher soap used if you have low hardness. Phosphates act in a different way than dishwasher soap. It's not like you can use twice as much dishwasher soap to overcome a lack of phosphates, you need to put the phosphates back in to get good cleaning and prevent the food from resticking to the dishes.

The wife is now convinced. She is adding a teaspoon of TSP to each load and keeping the dishwasher soap level as directed by the dishwasher manufacturer. Glasses washed this way compared to the "clean" glasses in the cupboards from before tell the whole story! If you have some TSP (the real stuff from home depot) I would consider giving it a try.

As far as softening your water instead, well yes if you have hard water it would help in many ways to soften it. Softeners waste water but I would never recommend routing the backwash to a septic system. Dump that stuff outside.

they do have to run a certain amount of time to sanitize. when i shut off the sanitize option it cuts down the wash time. if i'm not mistaken i think my manual said sanitize takes 15 mins of 160 degrees
I question the value of sanitizing. Most dishwashers blow air over the dishes to dry them. This are typically comes from under or behind the unit.
We moved into a new house and I removed the dishwasher to install tile. I found a dead mouse lying near the air intake of the dishwasher.
This compelled me to replace that dishwasher with a Bosch that using latent heat for drying rather than forced air. Takes longer but....

If you don't have mice at the dishwasher it helps keep colds germs down. My kids have a few colds a year and I have only 1 and that is usually around October. Im due anytime now. The little germ factory's are already at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.