Dumb Move

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raiderfan

Feeling the Heat
Dec 1, 2008
Western MA
So, about a week back, after a long burn, I noticed some haze on my stoves glass in the bottom left corner. The fire was in the coaling stage at this point, and for some dumb reason I thought I would clean the haze off of the glass. So I took a paper towel and sprayed some of the Rutland Stove Glass cleaner on it and went to wipe the glass. As soon as the paper towel touched the glass the cleaner sizzled on the glass and seemed to bake onto it!!! The next day, with a cold stove this time, I cleaned the glass, but the "baked on" cleaner mark is still there (about the size of a half dollar).

Question is there any way to get this off now? I tried the cleaner and even windex and simple green with a paper towel, but nothing takes it off. Don't want to try anything else w/out checking in for advice, as i don't want to scratch the glass to fix my dumb mistake. Thanks!

raiderfan said:
So, about a week back, after a long burn, I noticed some haze on my stoves glass in the bottom left corner. The fire was in the coaling stage at this point, and for some dumb reason I thought I would clean the haze off of the glass. So I took a paper towel and sprayed some of the Rutland Stove Glass cleaner on it and went to wipe the glass. As soon as the paper towel touched the glass the cleaner sizzled on the glass and seemed to bake onto it!!! The next day, with a cold stove this time, I cleaned the glass, but the "baked on" cleaner mark is still there (about the size of a half dollar).

Question is there any way to get this off now? I tried the cleaner and even windex and simple green with a paper towel, but nothing takes it off. Don't want to try anything else w/out checking in for advice, as i don't want to scratch the glass to fix my dumb mistake. Thanks!

It should burn off eventually. Until then you will stare at it and curse.

PapaDave said:
Have you heard of the newspaper and wet ash trick?
Works well to get the stubborn stuff off.

The ash acts as an extremely fine abrasive, but this, too, shouldn't be done with really hot glass.

A good hot fire well above 500 should bake it off like a self cleaning oven.

I use a razor as my glass is over 10 year old and already has a nice haze to it...

I am a huge fan of Magic Erasers. No chemical sprays, no newspapers and ash.... just wet and wipe. They even work with little effort on that light haze that is always harder to get off.

If its still there next time the stove is cool, try cleaning it with some vinegar.

Thanks guys. I, too, hoped that a hot fire or fires would bake it off, but not the case. A few fires I've had since my dumb mistake have hit 700-750* and its still there. I haven't tried cleaning it since the hot fires though, so maybe its loosened up a bit.

I will try the wet ash next (have cleaned my glass that way before) and then vinegar and the magic eraser after. I thought of a razor (as that would be how you'd get paint off of a window), but didn't want to attempt it w/out someone here mentioning it first!!! Thanks again!

Cate said:
I am a huge fan of Magic Erasers. No chemical sprays, no newspapers and ash.... just wet and wipe. They even work with little effort on that light haze that is always harder to get off.
Who cares if there isn't chemical "spray" associated with it. Don't fool yourself into thinking there aren't chemicals in Magic Erasers. Check out these burns from people who didn't use them responsibly:
Magic+Marker+Burns+2.jpg

burn.thumbnail.jpg

For whatever reason, Hearthstone specifically says not to use a razor blade, steel wool, or any abrasives on the Shelburne "glass".

Well its done. I think the hot fires loosened the stain up because it took one swipe of a damp magic eraser and the stain was gone! Thanks again!!

I wish my dumb moves rusulted in temporary marks on my glass. I more of an overfire, several hundred dollars in replaced warped stove parts, kind of guy. Did the Raiders find a head coach yet?
Go Birds! (Eagles)

-PB- said:
Did the Raiders find a head coach yet?

Yes. Al Davis is already looking for reasons to fine him and end the contract followed by a lengthy legal process.

If u use a razor be sure to use some lube to try and avoid scratches. Toothpaste might be something to try. I've used it to remove fine scratches from automotive glass.

-PB- said:
Did the Raiders find a head coach yet? Go Birds! (Eagles)

No, were on Al's schedule now. He will wait until the football world is dead silent to announce that, so all of the attention will be on that hire. It will be Hue Jackson, our OC.

And yes, Browning is right, Al will try to find a way to weasel out of paying him whatever he owes him, when it is all said and done -- just as he's doing right now the past HC and the one before him!! Ahh... The life of a Raider Fan.

Well apparently I shouldn't let the bag touch the glass while filling up my stove. Before I realized it I had plastic melted to it. I let it cool and gently scraped it off with a razor blade. I tried wiping it down with Windex to get the remainder off, but no luck. I'l give the self cleaning oven affect a try. My stove burns about 23/7 so it should be good in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.