Dumb newbe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigcube

Feb 27, 2008
Upstate NY
How many face cords in a full cord?

I went through a face cord in about 6 weeks? I just picked up another one tonight. I'm not burning 24/7 either. This old stove sure does eat lot's of wood. I can't wait to update this summer

I believe there are three face cords in one full cord.

Face cord and a rick are both equal to 1/3 of a cord (4 ft high x 8 foot long and splits are 16" long . Google face cord for more info.

steam man said:
I wish I could burn 1/3 of a cord in 6 weeks. That would probably cost me less than $60.00.

A third of a cord for 6 weeks would probably cost me around $200. 60$ for the wood and the rest for oil so I could stay warm. :)

Webmaster said:
I always thought a face cord, while not a legal measurement, meant ANY single depth pile that was 4x8 on the front.

In other words, a face cord would be one pile of 12" or 16" or 18" or even 20" lengths.

100% correct.

Correct, but usually folks do cut to 16." Not all for sure, but most.

Just googled face cord again, and as usual, learned something. I assumed a face cord/rick was one third of a cord. But since it's correct that you could have something other than 16" lengths, then:
12" length would equal one-fourth of a cord
AND
24" length would be equal half of a cord

I love heating with wood...oil, gas, electricity etc would all be sooo boring. :)

Well thanks for all the info!

Now If I could just identify wood. There's a bit of cherry in this batch. The pieces are cut much smaller. I am having a hard time boiling water on the stove with the new wood, the wood I just about finished off would vigorously boil water and I had to shut down the back vent or it would get way too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.