Dumb noob: sharpening splitter head?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2014
Central O-hi-o
We have a 27-ton Troybuilt. Well, my MIL has it and says the FIL will get it back from her when porcine aviation is a thing. Long story. In any event ...

Do you ever sharpen the head on the splitter? If so, when and how?

thanks

My splitter is 26 years old with hundreds of cord under its belt and the wedge hasn't been sharpened and doesn't need it.

Of course the better question is . . . how in the world would the splitter head ever get dull . . . it's not like you may accidentally split a rock in two by splitting too low to the ground. ;) :)

Of course the better question is . . . how in the world would the splitter head ever get dull . . . it's not like you may accidentally split a rock in two by splitting too low to the ground. ;) :)
I have found nails imbedded in the wood that have left some divots in the edge. I use mine as a shop press for ball joints and other pressing duties but I made a sheath to cover and protect the edge when pressed into this duty. (pun intended);)

Reactions: D8Chumley
Heh. He said doodie...
So I've been thinking how a shop press would be a nice thing to have. Not cause I need it that often, but when I do need it that's about the only thing that can get the job done. I never even considered using the splitter as a press. That's good for thought there.

I just bought a shop press last fall, and realized the other day that with my new splitter purchase it kind of makes having the press mute. Although having the control of a shop press is invaluable at times.

Back on topic, IF you ever needed to sharpen the wedge due to a large nick, an angle grinder would due the trick. Or bench grinder if you're able to remove the wedge. Most hydraulic splitters should be powerful enough to push through a log even with a dull wedge though.

hi all,
Those splitters also work well for knocking tires off rims to reseat them or installing tubes.......
rn

Reactions: Fifelaker and Jags
I took a flat file to mine to knock off the weld spatter from construction and to establish a clean edge. I also knocked off the point on the top of the cutting edge that would otherwise create a deep flesh wound if you caught it with your arm. Just sort of dull that top corner.

When I'm splitting with my buddy, I always feel like I'm dealing with a "dull wedge". Not the splitter, mind you...

I have all kinds of nicks and gouges in the wedge on our splitter from trying to make a 4 way wedge work. The 4 way didn't work, but the original wedge still plows thru anything no issue.

Reactions: Fifelaker
For ball joints, I run it at an idle and feather the control. I goes slow enough you can control it if you don't get your alignment quite right. If it doesn't have enough power bump the throttle a bit and ease into it again. I did some rear ball joints on a BMW that BMW said you need a special thing for your shop press. I had all of the special tooling in my scrap pile. Some pieces of pipe and plates and viola the joints were off and back on in less than 1/2 hour not including removal and installation of the arms. It also did the wheel bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.