Dumb Question, But I really don't know...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firebroad

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
Carroll County, MD
Okay, so I have an Alderlea T5 insert, love it, getting good at burning hot fires with what I've got. However, there is a nagging question I've been dying to ask

When I had it installed, the guys really had to wrestle it into the firebox, get the old liner out, get the new liner lined up right and connected, etc. I remarked, "Boy I'm glad I'm not the one who has to pull that back out to clean". The installer told me it would not have to come out. At that point the phone was ringing, and I never did get an in depth answer.

So I look up stuff on line, and come up with:

"...Removal is a often a job best left to a professional chimney sweep. In some cases, however, you do not have to remove the insert to clean the chimney. The insert can stay in place during cleaning if you install a full relining system, a stainless steel pipe that connects to the insert and goes to the top of the chimney."

...Which is exactly the setup I have. So my question--If you sweep it from the top, where the heck do the ashes go? I don't see any opening inside my firebox, just a baffle. I assume the Chimney Sweep will remove the baffle, but how can I inspect it myself? Will the crud fall down into the baffle? Keep in mind I have limited mobility in one arm, and lousy eyesight.

Take out the baffle and sweep it. All the soot should fall in the firebox than. Inspect it with a bright flashlight/spotlight If your sweeping it from the top, shine the light down and make sure there is no issues.

Youll have to remove the baffle and let the crub fall or be swept into the box. Hogwildz i believe did a write up with pictures of removing his PE baffle. It was more for replacement of the gasket material, but should provide you with a step by step for getting that thing out.
Lots of PE users here, im sure they can get you the best info.

Good luck.

Make sure you cover the secondary air channel at the back before you sweep it out (with the baffle removed).

Thanks, folks. I won't be doing the cleaning myself, just trying to save an unnecessary trip by the stove people if the flue is okay til spring. But the baffle is supposed to have a pin in the back to release, and I have yet to find it. Also, I am sure it is a real bas***d to work loose, according to instructions. There are times I do miss having the Muscular Sex around. :red:

Wow, thanks! I've been sitting here trying to find that sucker.

Couple too good a memory with too much time spent here, and it becomes easier..or just ask

I just hope Miller's Chimney does as good a job as Hogwildz did...

Status
Not open for further replies.