Dumb question... heat exchange between wood stove and a beer keg full of water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

area_man

Burning Hunk
Feb 12, 2013
Oregon City, OR
I would like to put a 15.5 gallon stainless steel beer keg in my bedroom and pump water between the wood stove and the water tank. Is there an existing set of plans for something like this?

I don't know of any plans but if the tank is higher than the stove you won't need any pumps. Just have the cold line low on the tank and the hot line high. If the water tank isn't sealed (pressurized) I don't see any danger. If it is, install a relief valve set lower than the vessel design pressure or maybe a radiator cap.
May I ask why? It's too small to do much buffering.

Last edited:
I'm with Circus. My wife wouldn't go for 2 bear kegs in the bed room. You would be better off pumping the water through a finned radiator. Also you need water temperature of at least 180F to get any heating off it. That's close to the boiling point, so I think you need to regulate the water temperature. It's done with wood boilers, so I would look at them.

You don't need water that hot for heat. I run my water temps down to 130° in winter before the house starts losing heat. Comes down to system design.

Having said that - this sounds like an idea asking for trouble. The more important little detail is missing - how the OP is planning to get the heat out of the stove into the water. SAFELY.

You don't need water that hot for heat. I run my water temps down to 130° in winter before the house starts losing heat. Comes down to system design.

Having said that - this sounds like an idea asking for trouble. The more important little detail is missing - how the OP is planning to get the heat out of the stove into the water. SAFELY.
... and the heat out of the keg. More typical installations would have an expansion tank with blow-off at boiler / heat exchanger, and fin tube radiator in bedroom. But, maybe we're all assuming this is for heating, and the op has another purpose in mind.

http://patch.com/new-hampshire/portsmouth-nh/redhook-employee-critically-injured-by-exploding-keg

If you want to do it, stick with an open system, too much risk for pressurized system unless you want to do it right and equip it with temperature and pressure relief valve. The problem with a closed system is what do you do with excess heat? Once the tank is up to pressure, it either boils or builds up pressure until it can boil. If it opens the safety relief it will boil until such time that all the water boils out and then the piping coil overheats.

Status
Not open for further replies.