Dumb Question.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msh227

Nov 20, 2010
Eastern PA
This sounds like a very stupid question... Is it normal to have dark colored smoke coming from chimney/exhaust during normal burn, not during startup.

Usually I have noticed the chimney was clean with little to no color when burning. Latley I have noticed it is burning with smoke that has colored my house siding.

Am I off my rocker or could this mean something, time fr solid cleaning, chimney sweep etc?

Stove is an Englander 25-PDVC

The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked! That's how we all learn.

Black smoke means the fire is starving for air, usually. When did you last do a thorough cleaning of the stove and vent - as in how many bags/tons?

I'll take a pic during day light. I give a good thorough cleaning each weekend. I vacuumed out the exhaust beginning of season which was 2.5 tons ago.

Bottom three buttons are on factory settings. Been burning on 2-2 and 3-3 for past week.

I make sure a complete clean is done every ton. A clean stove is a happy stove. 2.5 tons is way too long between complete cleanings in my opinion. You need to clean everything from blowers to pathways.

Black is not a good sign. As noted above, to little air or to much fuel.

With that said, some stoves have been known to stain the siding of houses.

Are you venting into the prevailing wind? How far from the siding is your vent cap? Do you have an internal rise or external rise?

I agree with DexterDay. My stove runs fine, but there is some soot accumulation on the exterior of a (very) nearby chimney, but none on the house. The chimney is downwind about a foot from my vent, so it accumulates some soot. Doesn't bother me, and I'm not worried about the brick catching fire ;).

I'm going to take a look at chimney after work today and give another thorough cleaning see how that works for me. Thanks everyone.

Can you do a leaf blower treatment with your exhaust set-up? (AFTER the thorough cleaning of stove & exhaust pipes)

I have a straight pipe exhaust... I'm sure I will get some negative feedback on that.... But I vacuumed out my exhaust it was dirty but it has been dirtier in the past. It appears that might have taken care of the black smoke though. Gace stove a good cleaning including the exhaust.

Don is in charge of dumb questions.

I have a straight pipe exhaust... I'm sure I will get some negative feedback on that.... But I vacuumed out my exhaust it was dirty but it has been dirtier in the past. It appears that might have taken care of the black smoke though. Gace stove a good cleaning including the exhaust.

I have a straight out vent, and it works fine for me. My stove puts little smoke in the house when the power dies. That, to me, is the main reason for having a vertical exhaust - to maintain draft in case of power failure.
The straight vent is so easy to clean, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.