1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Dumb Question.....

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by msh227, Mar 25, 2013.

1. msh227

msh227 Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    This sounds like a very stupid question... Is it normal to have dark colored smoke coming from chimney/exhaust during normal burn, not during startup.

Usually I have noticed the chimney was clean with little to no color when burning. Latley I have noticed it is burning with smoke that has colored my house siding.

Am I off my rocker or could this mean something, time fr solid cleaning, chimney sweep etc?

Stove is an Englander 25-PDVC

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked! That's how we all learn.

Black smoke means the fire is starving for air, usually. When did you last do a thorough cleaning of the stove and vent - as in how many bags/tons?
  3. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    While you are added post up some pics.:cool:
  4. imacman

imacman Guest

Very dirty stove & probably the exhaust system too.
  5. msh227

msh227 Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    I'll take a pic during day light. I give a good thorough cleaning each weekend. I vacuumed out the exhaust beginning of season which was 2.5 tons ago.

Bottom three buttons are on factory settings. Been burning on 2-2 and 3-3 for past week.
  6. fmsm

fmsm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South of Boston MA
    I make sure a complete clean is done every ton. A clean stove is a happy stove. 2.5 tons is way too long between complete cleanings in my opinion. You need to clean everything from blowers to pathways.
  7. imacman

imacman Guest

Ditto
  8. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Black is not a good sign. As noted above, to little air or to much fuel.

With that said, some stoves have been known to stain the siding of houses.

Are you venting into the prevailing wind? How far from the siding is your vent cap? Do you have an internal rise or external rise?
  9. heat seeker

Loc:
    Northern CT
    I agree with DexterDay. My stove runs fine, but there is some soot accumulation on the exterior of a (very) nearby chimney, but none on the house. The chimney is downwind about a foot from my vent, so it accumulates some soot. Doesn't bother me, and I'm not worried about the brick catching fire ;).
  10. msh227

msh227 Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    I'm going to take a look at chimney after work today and give another thorough cleaning see how that works for me. Thanks everyone.
  11. imacman

imacman Guest

Can you do a leaf blower treatment with your exhaust set-up? (AFTER the thorough cleaning of stove & exhaust pipes)
  12. msh227

msh227 Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    I have a straight pipe exhaust... I'm sure I will get some negative feedback on that.... But I vacuumed out my exhaust it was dirty but it has been dirtier in the past. It appears that might have taken care of the black smoke though. Gace stove a good cleaning including the exhaust.
  13. DBCOOPER

DBCOOPER Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Stowe, Pa
    Don is in charge of dumb questions.
    seige101 and smoke show like this.
  14. imacman

imacman Guest

;lol
  15. heat seeker

Loc:
    Northern CT
    I have a straight out vent, and it works fine for me. My stove puts little smoke in the house when the power dies. That, to me, is the main reason for having a vertical exhaust - to maintain draft in case of power failure.
    The straight vent is so easy to clean, too!