dumb question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ispinwool

Feeling the Heat
Feb 5, 2010
Butler County, Pa.

We have a Hearthstone burner; there's a window 3' to the left that we can
load the woodbox through if we want to....
I'm wondering if the cold air coming through the window would crack the stones
of the hot stove.

I would sincerely doubt it. Maybe a block of "dry ice" laid on the stone would be an issue. Ty

ispinwool said:

of the hot stove.

What year is your Heritage? The pre-EPA Heritage had a massive firebox like a modern Equinox. The new ones have a side door and a much smaller 2.0 cubic foot box. I don't air cracks stones unless you had a massive forge like fire that the air was feeding and overfired the crap out of it. I would guess cold water poured onto hot stone would shatter them though.

Na, fling open the window, chuck the wood through, and close it up before you let all the heat out!

You won't damage the stove.

-SF

firecracker_77 said:
ispinwool said:

of the hot stove.

What year is your Heritage? The pre-EPA Heritage had a massive firebox like a modern Equinox. The new ones have a side door and a much smaller 2.0 cubic foot box. I don't air cracks stones unless you had a massive forge like fire that the air was feeding and overfired the crap out of it. I would guess cold water poured onto hot stone would shatter them though.

our stove is only 4 years old.

thanks for the quick replies folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.