Dumb Wood Stove Chimney Install Question!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin1024

Aug 31, 2016
WOOD
I live in a house where I was told the chimney is "not functional" for a wood fire. However, the gentleman told me I could put a pellet stove in up the chimney with a three inch chimney liner pipe. If that's the case, would I be able to install a wood stove in as well?

I live in a house where I was told the chimney is "not functional" for a wood fire. However, the gentleman told me I could put a pellet stove in up the chimney with a three inch chimney liner pipe. If that's the case, would I be able to install a wood stove in as well?
Possibly we would need a lot more info to be able to give you much advice.

Possibly we would need a lot more info to be able to give you much advice.
Yes. The house is extremely old and they said the chimney was not in good shape. They said they could put an entire chimney liner in to allow us to make a fire. But I'm just trying to make the house warmer so he suggested a pellet stove. I'd rather do a wood stove. Would it be the same concept as a pellet stove even though I know the piping would be different? Could I take 8 inch pipe and run it straight up assuming I put the stove in the fireplace?

Could I take 8 inch pipe and run it straight up assuming I put the stove in the fireplace?
If you have room for it with insulation then yes probably but you cant just use pipe it needs to be a stainless liner It also depends on how bad the chimney is. And most stoves now have 6" outlets not 8"

If you have room for it with insulation then yes probably but you cant just use pipe it needs to be a stainless liner It also depends on how bad the chimney is. And most stoves now have 6" outlets not 8"
Not sure what you mean by insulation?

Not sure what you mean by insulation?
The liner should be insulated to improve the performance and to keep adjacent combustible materials from getting to hot and catching fire. Who ever manufacturers the liner used will have insulation approved for use with their liner

The liner should be insulated to improve the performance and to keep adjacent combustible materials from getting to hot and catching fire. Who ever manufacturers the liner used will have insulation approved for use with their liner
Ok and then you put the pipe inside the liner or is the liner all you need? Sorry, I'm a newbie.

Here's a link to a short video about chimney liner installation

Reactions: ispinwool
Hey now Kevin . . . there is no such thing as a dumb question here at hearth.com . . . any question is valid . . . except whether it is better to split horizontally or vertically . . . we solved that question a long time ago. I say the answer is an unequivocal "horizontal." :) ;)

Besides . . . even with easy questions we get to feel all smart-like by answering folks . . . so continue to ask your questions so we feel smart and better about ourselves . . . except of course the exception is me . . . I am just a dumb firefighter. ;) :)

Ok and then you put the pipe inside the liner or is the liner all you need? Sorry, I'm a newbie.
The liner is the pipe. It is just a pipe that is designed to hold up to the conditions in a chimney. Regular stove pipe will not.

Hey now Kevin . . . there is no such thing as a dumb question here at hearth.com . . . any question is valid . . . except whether it is better to split horizontally or vertically . . . we solved that question a long time ago. I say the answer is an unequivocal "horizontal." :) ;)

Besides . . . even with easy questions we get to feel all smart-like by answering folks . . . so continue to ask your questions so we feel smart and better about ourselves . . . except of course the exception is me . . . I am just a dumb firefighter. ;) :)
Lol. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.