dump zone location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallica21156

Feb 13, 2015
Carroll co
I have a buderus wood boiler that is installed in my basement. I have a cast iron radiator the floor above it. My question is the radiator is about 10' away from the boiler and not directly above it. Will piping this in as a power failure dump zone still work or do i have to be directly above the boiler? Also does pipe size matter any or just at least 1"?

Thermo siphon loops work best when piped vertically above the boiler and with the least amount of horizontal piping, valves, fittings, pumps, etc in the circuit.

It would be hard to predict how much heat could be transferred with a thermo siphon without doing some calculations.

Years ago buildings, even multi story, were heated by gravity flow. Some short horizontal runs would heat, piping needed to be sloped to help those offsets flow.

Interestingly the radiators highest up in the building would get most flow, and had to be valve balanced to provide adequate heat to the lower levels and radiators. Hot water like to move quickly, propelled by the buoyancy provided by temperature difference in a straight tall piping layout.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 8.15.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 8.15.04 PM.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 127
Status
Not open for further replies.