dump zone question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

May 21, 2008
NH
Can a dump zone have an hydronic fan convector on it... or does the zone have to be just baseboard? Installing the Tarm 40 soon.

Birdman said:
Can a dump zone have an hydronic fan convector on it... or does the zone have to be just baseboard? Installing the Tarm 40 soon.

Dunno what a 'hydronic fan convector' is, but a dump zone needs to dump heat effectively when there's no power. The 'fan' part has me worried.....

Depends on what you mean by "dumpzone". My setup will have 2 "dump zones",. the first is the biggest zone in my house, which will be forced open, even when no zones are calling for heat, in order to prevent the boiler from overheating - this zone would required electricity to run it, but if the boiler is hot and all the zones are closed, the zone value will override the thermostat and open up the zone.

The other "dump zone" I will have will be a gravity dump zone. This will be about 30-40 feet of fin baseboard mounted high on the walls of my garage (higher than the boiler), and in the case of a power-out situation, the zone value will open and hot water will circulate via gravity.

If you are talking about a zone to dump excess heat to, when the power is on, than a hydronic fan convector should work fine. If you are talking about a fail-safe dump zone, that allows heat to be dissipated when the power goes out, any zone that requires electricity to run it would not work imo.

If you are talking about a fail-safe dump zone, that allows heat to be dissipated when the power goes out, any zone that requires electricity to run it would not work imo.

I think I am confused now... I didn't know there was a difference. I was thinking I could use my baseboard in the living room as my failsafe dumpzone that is used when the electricity goes out? instead of using the baseboard in the basement above the Tarm? Am I wrong? Help.

Below is a Post I had on a while back. Can WoodnotOil help me out here. Is this info wrong?

I will be having someone install my Tarm soon. I have read and researched alot on this site… but alas… I am not a plumber. I like to know as much as I can about the system. I understand the reason to have the “ dump zone” is to keep the tarm froom not overheating when the electricity goes out. The part I don’t get is.. Do I have to have the 15 ft baseboard dump zone above the boiler in the basement?.. or can use the zone of baseboard tha will be on the first floor (above the tarm) in my cathedral living area ( about 30 ft of baseboard) as the dump zone?

PM

Edit

WoodNotOil

Posted: 09 September 2008 02:25 PM [ Report ] [ Ignore ] [ # 1 ]
Fire Honor Society
RankRankRankRank
Northern, Vermont
Total Posts: 256
Joined 2008-05-06

The dump zone has to flow via gravity when the electricity is out. If the baseboards are hooked up so that gravity will siphon the water up and back, then yes they could be used. Also, they must be sized to dump the correct amount of heat. I think it is 10% of Tarm output.
Signature

Tarm Solo Plus 40
Series with Oil Boiler
1000 gallon Heat Storage - Just Finished!
http://WoodNotOil.googlepages.com

Status
Not open for further replies.