1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Dumpable sawbuck/crib

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by smiley, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smiley

smiley Member

Having 6 cords of split wood to shorten for a different stove, I built the little firewood chop saw shown elsewhere in this forum. Someone in another forum said it would do the trick but would be slow and why didn't I build an oversize sawbuck to cut a bunch at once. I said yes that would be faster sawing, but extra stacking and loading would be involved that way, because after sawing I throw them in the loader bucket and dump them right on the porch. But that got me to thinking and here's what I came up with;
    A crib made out of an old pallet chained on the loader forks where I can stack them out of the pile, saw about 1/3 cord at a time and dump them on the porch.
    My bar is 18" so I made it 34" wide so by cutting from both sides, I go all the way through.
    The guide boards are an inch short of the length I need..
    After loading I just throw a chain and binder around it to hold everything tight and a couple minutes sawing on each side and it's ready for the porch.
    This rig could be adapted to any loader or redesigned for 3 pt hitch.
    I suppose if you don't have a tractor, You could even do it to my little wood cart.
    Smiley

Unfortunatly, I don't know why, but the photos don't seem to go through correctly on this site.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    Smiley,

I like your style. Wish I had a neighbor like you to swap ideas. Stick around and keep the ideas coming!
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The photos are showing up fine, it's just the thumbnails that are odd. Not sure why that is , but it seem to happen to most of us. Maybe it's the forum software?

I love your can-do spirit and ingenuity. Great solution to the problem Smiley!
  4. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    That's what called "working smarter, not harder"! I do something similar with my 4 ft. lenghts. I set up some 4x4's with my spacing to cut them in 3rds. Stack up a pile of 4 footers, fire up the saw, and but them all at once :)
  5. suematteva

suematteva New Member

Loc:
    Rutland, VT//Southern Quebec
    Good thinking!
  6. smiley

smiley Member

7. hardwood715

hardwood715 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Hyde Park, New York
    Just don't forget them forks are sitting on the bottom of that cage! Great ingenuity, Keep the tips coming!
  8. smiley

smiley Member

Got that covered hardwood. I left that bottom 2x8 sticking out past the cut, so I get pine before steel.
    Smiley

Attached Files:

9. ourhouse

ourhouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Franklin Ma
    Nice set up!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.