Dura Black to Duratech adaptor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pellet9999

Sep 3, 2008
ny
Dura-Black Stovepipe to DuraVent Chimney Adaptor when you want to connect 6" Dura-Black Stovepipe to Dura-Vent's DuraPlus or DuraTech chimney systems.

Simpson Duravent Item Number: 6689

Features

* Connects Dura-Black Stovepipe to DuraPlus and DuraTech chimney pipes
* For use with pipes with a 6" inner diameter
* Limited lifetime warrant

I already bought one wrong adaptor due to bad descriptions... will this one join Single wall durablack 6" to DuraTech 6" ..no other pieces involved??

The Simpson parts catalog for the DVL double wall stove pipe (you have single wall stove pipe, I think) describes the chimney adapter (part #8674) this way: "Use to connect from double-wall DVL and/or single-wall DuraBlack to Dura-Tech, DuraPlus, DuraPlus HTC, and DuraLiner for a through-the-wall or ceiling support installation. Required for proper connection. Made of stainless steel."

Within the installation procedures for "Chimney Instalation" there is a list of "General Installation Procedures". Step #3 of those procedures states: "Snap the connector (CC-C) into the support box or into the wall thimble. NOTE: The connector (CC-C) is the only component that can connect pipe to chimney; therefore a close clearance connector (CC-C) is necessary in every installation."

The Simpson part number for the 6" Close Clearance Connector (CC-C) is #8674.

With all that confusion being quoted, I cannot give you a "yes" or "no" answer to your question. I recently had to connect my 6" Simpson DVL double wall stove pipe to the Simpson DuraTech, class A chimney support box and I was as confused as you are. I finally gave up and drove 35 miles to my nearest Simpson dealer and asked their installer. He cleared up all the confusion and sold me the (CC-C) and that is the correct part for my installation.

The Simpson DVL double wall stove pipe is a great product. The Simpson DuraTech class A chimney is also a great product. However, the (CC-C) used to connect the two together, while being a theoretical marvel of engineering, is a dismal failure in its execution, in my opinion. It became disconnected from the support box 2X during my installation. Apparently, once the chimney is all screwed together and after a few fires are burned, enough creosote is created to "glue" these pieces together and they might then be secure. I would recommend Simpson manufacture a kit allowing the stove pipe to be screwed to the ceiling support box. That would be a VERY secure connection.

I would feel very insecure having to disconnect the stove pipe from the top of the stove for cleaning. I would not trust the entire suspended weight of the stove pipe to be supported by the CC-C connection. I would fear its being disconnected from the ceiling support box and crashing down on top of the stove and the hearth.

You might try calling Simpson Technical Support for answers but you will get only an answering machine telling you to leave a brief message and someone will get back to you within two hours, usually, and sometimes within 24 hours. I was always called back within about two hours by a very nice and assuring man who was well informed.

The truth IS out there. Good luck in your quest to find it.

John_M

They also make a 18" slip that attaches to the support box.This makes for a easy install.When you put the slip connector into support box you have to push up and twist into place to lock it in.put three screws in every joint and no worrys about coming apart.This for dura black stove pipe single wall.

daryl, are you certain about that 8" slip connector attaching directly to the ceiling support box? I was told by Simpson's Technical department and by a trusted certified woodstove installer who has been installing Simpson chimney and stove pipe for years that using the (CC-C) is the only way to connect stove pipe to the chimney. Simpson's instructions say the same thing. I am using their #8647, 40" to 68" telescoping length of DVL double wall stove pipe and there is no way that will connect to the chimney support box without the (CC-C) chimney adapter. The Simpson tech also said there is no way to screw the stove pipe to the ceiling support box with or without the (CC-C) adapter.

There wouldn't seem to be a problem screwing a #8 x 3/8" taping screw into the outer wall of the double wall stove pipe because the holes are already pre-drilled. The problem, I would assume, is screwing into the ceiling support box, which, I would assume, would negate the UL rating of the chimney. If screwing into the ceiling support box in the area where the chimney is inserted would not negate the UL rating, I would encourage Simpson to provide a kit to do just that. I would feel much better with the stove pipe attached to the ceiling support box with three of the above mentioned screws.

Best wishes,

John_M

I was refering to pellet9999 who was using 6" single wall dura vent.You have to use there ss ring that slips into support box for Double wall pipe. . And you are correct you can not screw that pc into support box.But with all joints screwed together how could anything come crashing down unless the stove decided to go for a walk.lol. i did say 18" slip in my reply to pellet9999 and it does hook into the support box.
thanks for catching that I dont no where my mind was at today when i wrote that.
Daryl

I am responding to the OP, don't have time to read all the other babble in here.

Your duratech system should terminate at the ceiling or wall with either a support box or a finishing collar. The 6689 will snap into those (according to the catalog) and then gives a 6" single wall crimped end to start your single wall dura-black pipe. I don't install this stuff every day (thats what the field guys are for) but I think it actually snaps into the last piece of duratech, and the support box or finish collar are just there, regardless you should have one of these anyway if the chimney system is installed properly.

We always use the DVL pipe, so we use the 8674 close clearance adaptor, and it has the same snap rings on the top. It fits right into a chimney terminated with a support box or finish collar for sure, I have worked on both.

Hope that made sense for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.