Dura Vent Elbow Brand new leaking smoke?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdrury245

Hearth Supporter
May 11, 2009
Middlesex
Just installed the vent pipe to my pellet stove and the brand new elbow that I just bought is leaking from the joints of the elbow as well as the connectors to the other pipes? What should I do? They are all sealed? Should I place silicon around all joints of the elbow?

Jason

Hi temp furnace foil tape (2") can be wrapped around the joints too. Makes it easier to take pipes apart later for cleaning too.

seal it when you know it doesn't leak, paint it.

harleysporty1200 said:
i used high temp silicon on all the joint & all the seams on the pipes & elbows.

I use the hi temp ORANGE gasket seal from any auto parts store on the ones of mine that are inside the house. It pretty much just peels off with your fingernails if you take it apart each season like I do. Not hard to deal with at all, just smear it into the joint.

If you got the new style duravent pro with the orange / red O-ring gasket in the joint of each piece I would call simpson right away and tell them your problem. They will probably send you some new pieces.

If you ended up with older pipe (from big box store). Then you will probably need to silicone all the joints, as well as silicone inside the elbows at their seams.

Status
Not open for further replies.