Dura vent triple wall outside option question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David T

Sep 22, 2012
I wish to put a wood stove in an existing two story house and have been looking at the options for a chimney. The outside versus inside chimney is something I have been trying to figure out. It is possible to put a metal chimney inside the house and go up through a second floor closet and out but I would perfer to go outside wih the chimney. I thought about a masonary chimey maybe with an stainless steel pipe and insulated or using dura vent triple wall pipe going outside. I guess the concern is outside versus inside chimney in term of draft. If I went outside with dura vent triple wall wouldn't that eliminate a lot of issues of a cold flue once I heated the flue up in the begining. Any ideas or how they might compare would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Yes it is possible to go up through a closet as long as the pipe is boxed in a chase. This is not only a more attractive way to install, it's usually less expensive. The chimney will draw better and will be easier to clean with a straight up run too.

Yes it is possible to go up through a closet as long as the pipe is boxed in a chase. This is not only a more attractive way to install, it's usually less expensive. The chimney will draw better and will be easier to clean with a straight up run too.

How about the option of running the pipe outside with triple insulated Dura Vent. That probably would be better than masonary but would I lose than much draft so it wound't be acceptable or just hard to tell.

Thank You

Dave

If that is the best option for you then it's usually possible to do. Many folks have gone that route. If you can post some interior and exterior shots of the location we can look for any complications. This setup can sometimes be a little harder to start drafting, but once it's warmed up that shouldn't be too much of an issue unless you live in a very cold area. The pipe can get a bit dirtier from creosote condensation, especially if the wood is not nice and dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.