Durability of various flooring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4dimad

Jul 4, 2008
MA
Hello!

We are in the process of a total remodel of our storefront photography studio. We would like to use hardwood flooring thru the entire studio, but since our entryway is right on the street we cannot decide on hardwood vs laminate vs vinyl vs Engineered vs something else. Want something that really looks sharp but will last. Durability is a must. ... (we don't like the ceramic tile) Would like your opinion on what material might work best for us . Really would like something that looks nice especially since it's the studio/gallery. Thank you.

A good quality laminate will work just fine. I'd watch it may be slippery when wet, maybe place a nice rug at the entrance upon entering. A nice pergo will work great and they have it in stone look, tile look or wood. Brazilian cherry is real nice.This stuff holds up great.

Consider natural slate tiles. They come in approx. 12 or 18 inch square. Possibly larger.

Try walking on an engineered floor... they just don't feel right. Wood will scratch and wear. Ask anyone with a dog. But I have seen a lot of studios/workshops/galleries with wooden floors that are old and worn and they look great.
Slate is cheap and if it chips it still looks good.
Prefinished hardwood seems more durable than site finished. However you can generally refinish site finished more often than pre-finished due to thickness. It is a horrible job though.
Concrete buffed looks amazing but requires maintenance. I would choose this in a studio. Tough on the feet if your standing though.
Terrazo is amazing but very very expensive.

If you could find a source, industry used to use an end grain wooden block flooring, I have seen it used in old machine shops and warehouses. It seems to last a real long time, but then again, I expect ti gets soaked with oil from the operation. By the looks of it, I think it may be long leaf pine.

I have oak...and cherry. Good oak flooring seems to be much more resistant to scratches. They also show less because oak is lighter.

We have a high-end vinyl with laser inset borders in our small kitchen. It is a great floor in terms of looks and wear. There are many upscale vinyl floors available. I think this one came from England (the builder put it in on spec).

d.n.f. said:
Try walking on an engineered floor... they just don't feel right. Wood will scratch and wear. Ask anyone with a dog. But I have seen a lot of studios/workshops/galleries with wooden floors that are old and worn and they look great.
Prefinished hardwood seems more durable than site finished. However you can generally refinish site finished more often than pre-finished due to thickness. It is a horrible job though.
Concrete buffed looks amazing but requires maintenance. I would choose this in a studio. Tough on the feet if your standing though.

I have a pergo laminate floor in the kitchen and have had it for 5+years, I have a 120 pound dog and when someone knocks all hell breaks loose with the dog as he tries to get traction to get to the door 1st and he has never scratched the fllor to date. Lord knows he tries but has yet to leave one mark on it. I also have agravel drive and sometimes stone gets dragged in by the kids (and adults) and no scratches no marks. Laminate= good stuff. 30 year warrenty........

woodsman23 said:
d.n.f. said:

I have a pergo laminate floor in the kitchen and have had it for 5+years, I have a 120 pound dog and when someone knocks all hell breaks loose with the dog as he tries to get traction to get to the door 1st and he has never scratched the fllor to date. Lord knows he tries but has yet to leave one mark on it. I also have agravel drive and sometimes stone gets dragged in by the kids (and adults) and no scratches no marks. Laminate= good stuff. 30 year warrenty........

Sorry for the confusion of my post. I was trying to say that hardwood (not laminate) will scratch. Laminate's are good. Hell they use it in my local Safeway and that gets a lot of traffic. What I was saying with laminates/engineered is that they don't feel like a hardwood floor. They feel like something else. Not a bad thing, but different.
Plus I think I spelled Terrazzo wrong.

Pergo Select is among the most durable laminates you can find, and it is rated for commercial applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.