Durable EPA certified stove without glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Ackerly

Burning Hunk
An outdoor club asked me to help spec some stoves that they can buy for cabins. Apparently the groups using the cabins can break door glass within weeks or months, so they want stoves without glass - and really heavy duty, durable stoves. They said they'd love to buy a modern stove that most closely resembles an old Fisher stove Any suggestions? I figure someone must offer doors without glass as an option. Thanks.

Without glass it's impossible to know for sure whether or not the secondaries are firing. Have they thought about picking up a used pre-EPA stove?

EPA Exempt - Little John from Buck comes to mind: http://www.buckstove.com/little-john.html#.VPeCSfnF-ho

little-john-large.jpg

You could take the glass out of any stove and replace it with plate steel, however they might have to replace it after a few seasons.

Without glass it's impossible to know for sure whether or not the secondaries are firing. Have they thought about picking up a used pre-EPA stove?

i just asked myself how would that work?

i just asked myself how would that work?
You can do it just fine wit ha thermometer i agree it is easier if you can see it but very doable with out

Word: Damage deposit.

The Woodstock Classic has no glass, but I wouldn't used this for a cabin with lots of different users. They can avoid glass breakage by getting a cigar loader and supplying correct length wood. Maybe the Morso 2B with it's little window would work? Or the Jotul 602? How large are these cabins?

You can do it just fine wit ha thermometer i agree it is easier if you can see it but very doable with out

Just echoing the other members thoughts. I get my fires going better by watching the fire than the gauge.

Just echoing the other members thoughts. I get my fires going better by watching the fire than the gauge.
it is absolutely easier if you can see it yes

If the users in these cabins are breaking the glass in a few weeks to months you have to wonder how efficiently they are going to operate a stove no matter what cues they have. Sounds like a recipe for overfires or clogged up chimneys.

Reactions: Hickorynut
Thanks for all the thoughts. Hadn't thought of the Woodstock Soapstone classic. Too bad there wasn't a way to retrofit it without cat.

john

Thanks for all the thoughts. Hadn't thought of the Woodstock Soapstone classic. Too bad there wasn't a way to retrofit it without cat.

john
There is a guy in eastern Ohio who has a Pre-Cat Woodstock Classic for sale for $400. I posted the link in the for sale section.

John, how large are these cabins?

Not sure what size the cabin is, or how many there are yet. I don't think the guy liked my initial advice, which was to get something with glass, so you can see how the fire is doing, and get a certified stove - not an "airtight" one. So many people still think "airtight" is state of the art and means its efficient. (A few new models even advertise themselves as "airtight" even though they are not.) He is now getting advice of others and will check back when he finds a recommendation he likes, and then I may have chance to dissuade him or assure him.

Status
Not open for further replies.