Duraflame Logs in ZC Woodburner Fireplaces?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

builderbob

Jun 14, 2007
Oregon
I see from the Fireplace Xtrordinair manual, it says "no" to wax logs such as Duraflame.
This unit is a catalytic converter unit and that is probably the reason.

I looked up the RSF Opel 3 manual and it says "ok" to Duraflame logs.

I haven't found anbything yet in the Napoleon NZ6000 manual or the Lennox Monticeto Estate manual (both are noncatalytic types).

Anyone on experience good or bad or no difference one way or the pther, on burning wax logs like Duraflames in zero clearance woodburning fireplace units?

I was intently studying the Fireplace Xtrordinair literature, and my wife saw me and was no doubt thinking I must be coming to some kind of decision. A while later she dropped the comment as we burned a duraflame log in our 1968 vintage masonry 22" x 42" fireplace---I hope we can burn wax logs at the new place!

Then I picked up the FPX manual again and quickly read its "do not burn wax logs in this unit" warning. Back to decision making!!

My panic eased a bit when I read the RSF OPEL manual that specifically mentioned Duraflame type logs as ok.

Appreciate any brand specific knowledge or just general thoughts.

builderbob

Why burn wax logs? You can burn pressed wood logs that are 100% natural wood, cost less, and produce a lot more BTU for the buck.

I would stay away from wax logs for a cat converter stove - not that you would do any harm instantly, but it could be a problem if it was relatively often.

Personally, I would not burn them at all - even in the stoves without cats that mention it is OK. Use the biomass logs without wax. If you really want to use Duras, no reason to spend many thousands on an upgraded box - get a cheaper semi-efficient fireplace model....

It's not that I want to use the Dura's, it just they are what the corner grocery sells, when we have no firewood, and the wife wants a fire. You are talking to city slickers here.

I'll have to check out sources here for the pressed wood logs. I can probably sell that to my wife for use in our new house with our new zc fireplace, if and when we run out of firewood there. They can't be that much harder to start than Dura's are, if they even are harder to start at all. And this being Oregon, pressed wood logs can't be that hard to find.

I did wince the last time I bought the grocery chain's generic version of Dura's, and remember thinking this can't become an expensive habit if we are going to be using the new fireplace much.

But I did note the difference in permission for Dura use between RSF and FPX, so thought I would ask. The pressed logs sound like a good substitution.

I like this forum!! It is just stray random questions like this that keep popping up in our research, and more often than not, several good perspectives and background knowledge, and solutions appear like magic.

builderbob

I wouldn't do it. Another issue besides the temps is that your cat is likely too sensitive to burn the wax. Cat's are pretty sensitive; for example buring news paper with color print will damage or destroy your cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.